Beer Line for Jockey Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbeersnob

Reaction score
I purchased a cold plate. The seller confirmed the tubing is 5/16", but didn't specify ID or OD. I assume it's OD. That would provide resistance of .5 psi/ft. I'm thinking about using 1/4" ID beer line, since it has the closest resistance (.7 psi/ft). Is that the best way to go?

I was thinking it would match the same inside diameter before the plate. But then I reread and saw that you think it is od. I would try and match inside diameters until the end and then I'd put a small choker hose to the shank.

Also, with a jockey box I wouldn't worry too much about resistance. I would recommend hooking it all up and then turning up the pressure until you get an adequate pour. Higher beer velocity has a greater likelihood of foaming and making a mess. A couple more seconds to pour the beer isn't a deal breaker for a jockey box.

Yeah, I think 1/4' ID beer line is as close as I'll get to the ID of the tube in the plate chiller. When you say a "choker hose," do you basically mean to use a smaller diameter line from the plate to the shank (eg 3/16")?

Copy about 1/4.

And yes about choker. I just use about 18". Helps to slow things down right at the end. I have about 8 feet of 5/16 and 24' of 1/4" and 1.5' of 3/16. I run about 15 psi. Pours slow but the foaming is the same as out of my 630ss taps at home.

Interesting. Do you have the 5/16 running from the keg to a bulkhead shank and the 1/4 from bulkhead shank to cold plate?

I just drilled a hole in the cooler and pushed all 4 beer lines through it. So I have one solid piece of tubing from keg disconnect to the cold plate.
That's what I'm leaning toward doing as well. I ordered bulkhead shanks, but they have a 5/16 bore. I could use them with 5/16 from keg to shank and reduce to 1/4 from shank to cold plate, but I don't want to use extremely long lines.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm surprised by how few people reply to posts about jockey boxes.

When I built mine it was hard to find first hand experience. I ended up basing everything off a probrewer and what they did for serving at festivals . It didn't line up with what I found online but it works killer.

The bulkhead was just extra crap that didn't seem very useful. What would be awesome, but pretty expensive, is using the cpc quick disconnects from colder products. They have them in the right bore if you look around.

The vendor confirmed that the tubing inside the cold plate is 5/16 ID. That just didn't make sense to me, so I hunted down the manufacturer and gave them a call. It's actually 5/16 OD. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight and be satisfied with my choice of 1/4" beer line.

Really impressed that the manufacturer called me back. Sometimes they won't give you the time of day unless you have an account. So I'll give them props:
http://www.fitandcp.com/products/cold-plates

Purchased through http://midwestbev.com/, who was responsive to product questions through e-mail and shipped quickly. They also have great prices on some other things, like rolls of beverage tubing, some stainless fittings and Oetiker clamps.

Back