Beer Kettle and burners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I currently have a really nice and sturdy 5-6 gallon pot that I use its pretty heavy and the metal is pretty thick. I use it on an electric stove. I was thinking about buying a burner to start doing boils down my basement cause I have a nice room down there that is not in use so I can get away from the old lady.

Since I'm only doing small extract batches is it worth for me to buy a burner? It does take forever to bring 3 gallons of water to a boil on my electric stove.

Do you think I should buy a nice kettle with the burner and somehow start doing full extract boils??

P.S. I screwed up the title should have written Brew Kettle not beer.

Are you thinking about a propane burner for your basement? Maybe I misunderstood your just trying to hide from the wife not kill her

Nice? Just get one that is big enough to do full boils. And yes, get a burner. You'll love it.

Whoops, missed the part that you are doing this inside. I suggest a patio.

I'm doing 10 gallon batches with a 58L keggle. Still using the turkey deep fryer burner that I got from my local hardware store for 69$. It works just fine for 5 gallon batches, 10 is a little slow, but I get to a boil within 30minutes after mashing. The kit came with a thermometer and a 5 gallon aluminum pot, which I put to good use collecting my grains after milling.

Are you thinking about a propane burner for your basement? Maybe I misunderstood your just trying to hide from the wife not kill her

Haha, oh yeah and I also meant to say something about the basement. You cannot do this without extremely good ventilation. Like I'm talking a 30 inch fan going full bore.

Ok well forget the basement then... Yea I was looking at propane. I have a room in the back basement it does have a window in it. I would get that much smoke from a five gallon brew??

I currently have a really nice and sturdy 5-6 gallon pot that I use its pretty heavy and the metal is pretty thick. I use it on an electric stove. I was thinking about buying a burner to start doing boils down my basement cause I have a nice room down there that is not in use so I can get away from the old lady.

Since I'm only doing small extract batches is it worth for me to buy a burner? It does take forever to bring 3 gallons of water to a boil on my electric stove.

Do you think I should buy a nice kettle with the burner and somehow start doing full extract boils??

P.S. I screwed up the title should have written Brew Kettle not beer.

Unless you really know what you are doing in terms of ventilation AND install a CO detector DO NOT DO THIS.

CO is odorless, tastless and deadly. Nuff said...

GT

Ok so its gonna do in place of my grill in my yard. Thanks for the info. Is it work me doing it for 5gal boils??

Ok so its gonna do in place of my grill in my yard. Thanks for the info. Is it work me doing it for 5gal boils??

Yes, 5 gallon boils can really improve your beer. I would definitely suggest this as the next upgrade in your process.

Yea I plan on it and also I plan on getting a wort chiller too so I can simply cut the fire from the burner and plug the garden hose into my wort chiller.

Haha, oh yeah and I also meant to say something about the basement. You cannot do this without extremely good ventilation. Like I'm talking a 30 inch fan going full bore.

I've wondered about this.

But for a standard gas stove we are OK? And 4 or 5 of the stoves burner going is OK?
The stove won't generate CO? (stove come in both propane and NG)

But for a standard gas stove we are OK? And 4 or 5 of the stoves burner going is OK?

A turkey frier makes 59000 btu and the venturis are manually set so they can be accidentally tuned to makes lots and lots of CO.

The stove will produce CO, it just is much cleaner burning than an outdoor cooker, and you are burning much less fuel. You can get into trouble though if you use the stove and range to heat your home when the power is out. By having all 4 burners and the range burners going...

Here is the CDC site for information on what to use/not use indoors: http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

I work in a hospital that has an HBO chamber (the treatment for CO poisoning). Other than suicide attempts the most common causes we see in the PNW are from using charcoal grills indoors for cooking/heating or generators indoors - including in the attached garage!!!

GT

Back