Beer judging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbeer69

Reaction score
Is there a way to have a beer judged without entering it into a competition?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sure, PM me for my address and I'll happily "judge" your beer!:cross:

P.S.- I may not have many good notes rather than, "Yummy."

I built a site called onlinebeerscores.com to help with this. The idea is that you register the beer, print out a tag and attach it to a bottle you want judged, then take it to a homebrew club meeting. We usually have people sit their beer on a table and then several of is grab a beer or two to take home and judge. Your BJCP style scoresheet is emailed to you immediately after the beer is judged.

You mean officially judged or just get some opinions? Most homebrew clubs have some version of beer tastings, so that would be a place to start for opinions. If you want an official scoring, you can enter a competition. The majority of entries are there just for that. They aren't going to be offended by you entering a non-prize worthy beer to be judged.

Check with your local home brew club. I know many of the clubs in our area have members that are BJCP judges. I haven't met one yet that is not willing to give you anything from general feedback to a full blown score sheet just by asking them.

Sure. Ask a judge to score it for you. We have a few guys who are in some phase of BJCP certification that will gladly judge beers at our monthly meetings. I would imagine most clubs would be similar. Where about are you located?

Our club as started a monthly tasting. The first one is coming up, so no feedback on how it works yet. The plan is to bring a 12 pack to share with the others, including a brew sheet overview, and then provide feedback on them.
It's now ballooned into a brew day as well it seems. I'll miss the gathering as I have to be out of town :(, but I'm looking forward to the tasting.
We all bring brews to share at our monthly meetings, but it's tough to get any real feedback there. It's usually a big crowd, 50+ people, so it's loud, crowded and too many beers to appreciate them well.

Sure. Ask a judge to score it for you. We have a few guys who are in some phase of BJCP certification that will gladly judge beers at our monthly meetings. I would imagine most clubs would be similar. Where about are you located?

I'm in Jacksonville Florida. I'll check with the lhbs about it. I just thought I would get an opinion from someone that has a lot more experience than me. Thanks

I built a site called onlinebeerscores.com to help with this. The idea is that you register the beer, print out a tag and attach it to a bottle you want judged, then take it to a homebrew club meeting. We usually have people sit their beer on a table and then several of is grab a beer or two to take home and judge. Your BJCP style scoresheet is emailed to you immediately after the beer is judged.

I actually went to your site and registered it. Wasn't sure of the next step.

I actually went to your site and registered it. Wasn't sure of the next step.

Print out the tag and give the bottle(s) to people to score. They should go to the site and enter the 4 digit code ad then score like a competition.

Sorry if things were unclear. I'll think about how how to make it easier.

The original idea was to get homebrew clubs in on the idea and explain how it worked and then send members to use it. Let me know what I can do to make it easier.

Back