Beer gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naptowndon

Reaction score
I recently brewed a holiday ale (extract) and after about 12hrs the fermentation was going crazy coming through the airlock. I didn't have a blow off setup so I cut the top off of a 1 piece airlock and attached my siphon hose with a hose clamp using a sanitized bottle with star San until i could get a new 2 piece airlock and hose to use. It's been a week and I racked into secondary OG was 1.058 when racked I am at 1.019. I tasted the beer that I tasted and it's not good. Can't smell spice pack or taste in beer and beer has a very bitter carbonated taste. I'm not sure if the airlock being empty and only beer foam caused it ? Another possible issue, my floating thermometer broke during prior brew and i bought a new big daddy clip thermometer. I checked the temp prior to using in boiling water but before my most recent brew I check at freezing and it was off about 8 degrees. I wondered if I was steeping at 170 rather than 160? Would this cause the off flavors or the airlock being empty for a few hours and changing 2 times during fermentation ?

This is my 9th brew never had a problem before. This was first brew with new thermometer.

That bitter carb taste could likely just be green beer. I've noticed extract beers have that quality when young & green. The hop profile will be rather sharp tasting,& the malt will taste light in the sneakers till it's carbed & conditioned. Does that sound about right to you?

That's what I was hoping, just needs some time to settle. I guess I was most concerned about the thermometer just have no confidence in it right now. Always read about tannins but I don't know how that affects the beer

Tannins come from high steep/mash temps & come from the grain hulls. I think you've just tasted green extract beer. They have rather sharp,confused flavors when green.

Back