Beer for a braai/BBQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danieljhb

Reaction score
Hey all. So i think every homebrewer has been asked this at least once or twice.
Have been asked to supply a pile of home brew for a braai coming up and the usual being i don't have enough general public friendly beer/cider to supply.
Looking for a quick recipe either beer or a cider ( rather full grain) anything that's doable in sub 14 days.
Apologies and thanks in advance.

I can't imagine a cider of any quality would be done in less than two weeks. I guess you could rush out a cream ale or pale ale like above but IMO that might not be enough time even for a beer like that to not be "green" by the time of your event.

If you are already under 14 days away I would be looking to brew ASAP if I were you. Or just buy some tasty beer.

Thanks Abrayton
@Andrew Hodgson
I'm very worried about "green" beer .
Most of mine i age for atleast 4 months.
( Lager is sitting at 9 months )
Re cider. I used to make lemon lime turbo yeast cider. Which was tasty at 19 . 34 i worry my pallet has changed alot.

Hopefully it figure something out before tomorrow am.
Saturday afternoon is brew day i hope

Start with a fairly simple recipe with a moderate gravity. An APA, blonde, or cream ale seems likely for a non-craft crowd.

Pitch a lot of healthy, active yeast (do a vitality starter if you can't do a regular starter, and consider two packs of yeast if using dry yeast).

Ferment at a suitable temperature for your yeast.

Optionally, use a high-flocculating strain to clear up faster.

You should be able to package after a week or so. If you keg, two weeks is plenty of time to go from grain to glass, since you can force carb if necessary. If you bottle, keep the bottles in a warm location and swirl them once or twice a day and they should be 90% carbed in a few days. That would even give you time for a couple days in the fridge before the braai to let CO2 dissolve into the beer and cold crash the yeast in the bottles for greater clarity.

Back