Beer fads that have passed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in school, the Union had this stuff called B.B. Lemon. It was super syrupy and nasty on its own, but the idea was you'd get a pitcher of that and a pitcher of Lite and pour them 1/2 and 1/2 together in a glass for a radler like thing that was prett darn good.

Anyway, here's my fad submission for the group - Belgian table beer! That's right, I'm digging into the history books! The Belgian Trappist Monesteries used to brew a low alcohol (~3%) beer to serve to broad audiences. Those days are long gone, but the fads that came after - dubbels, tripples, and quads - are here to stay!

Just popped up on my FACEBOOK memories... 2013 was the season for homebrewing/craft brewing of the Table Beers...

I predict the next little brewing "fad" bubble will be everything "NE" style... Just like how everything became "Imperial" for a bit. Brewers will be applying the same techniques they do to get NE IPAS to other styles... Like NE Irish Reds, NE Stouts.... We'll see.

I remember just after my 21st birthday buying glasses of PBR at a dive bar downtown for 75 cents. About 16 years ago. Now I'm feelin old

So I grew up a Yooper, and everyone drank PBR non-ironically. I graduated high school w/ 2 or 3 kids w/ PBR tattoos (graduated in 03). I think its a fine beer for what it is, and its my go to cheap beer. Cut to 2010, I visit my now wife in Detroit on R&R from Iraq. I'm not from Detroit, I'm not cool, I didn't know what a hipster was. We sit down at a bar, ask what they have on tap and say "Oh, PBR, I'll have that" She rolls her eyes at me and calls me a hipster, which I didn't get. Then I just about lose my **** when they charge me 4.50 for a glass.

Thankfully the bloom has come off that particular rose and you can now get tall boys at a burger bar by me for like 2 bucks, should you want to.

Last edited:
Pumpkin beers? A local grocery store has had cases of Pumking on clearance for a while now. They'll probably have it till it's in season again. Let's all get over pumpkin beer already.

Before Southern Tier was bought by Constellation Group, I always looked forward to Pumking. Now, it just doesn't taste the same, maybe my palate has changed, or was unrefined at the time, idk. I might have to find the Pumking thread on HBT now:mug:

Remember this?

extremely-rare-miller-clear-beer-bottle-full-w_1_1bbf219df872d7738307185e41d5c9ab.jpg

Sure, it was the foundation for all the alcopops, Mike's, Zima, those hard sodas, etc., but what an abomination.

Yep, the Ice beers - Icehouse, Lite Ice (I had a bar mirror of that in my dorm room) Bud Ice, Leinie's Ice, etc.

Remember when everything was a draft? Miller Genuine Draft, Bud Draft (or was it Bud Ice Draft?)

Or Dry? Bud Dry, Michelob Dry, etc.

Great! Back in '91-'92 I brewed for a small extract pub & we used Briess extract and ended up meeting a gal who was their head chemist at the Oregon Brewers Fest in the early 90's. She told me that one thing that came from the first attempts at making lite beer in the 70's was clear beer. They wanted to see what happened if they doubled up the charcoal in the filter and the end result was that they filtered out all the color, ha! I'm sure this is where stuff like Zima and the like came from.

Killian's Red.

That was very popular "back in the day" but never could stomach the stuff. I was a MGD kinda guy then! ;)

Cream ale is having a moment. It seems like maybe it's replacing blonde ale as the summer light beer of choice? I'm definitely seeing cream of three crops and fizzy yellow beer come up a lot more often than centennial blonde.

Icehouse is still around, and recently jumped up to 6.9% ABV, from 5.5% previously.

I bet it still tastes like sweet corn soda.

:hs:

Yeah, I think "dry" beer in general was a fad. I actually worked on some Bud Dry projects back in the day--it required some special treatment since it was a "draft"--i.e. unpasteurized--product. So they were trying to cash in on two fads--dry beer and canned draft beer, a la MGD.

Heh. Icehouse.
So when I was in the dorms, all the dorm residents would have "house picnics" at a local county park in the spring. (A "house" was a two-floor section of a 26-story tower - one men's floor, one women's floor, with a common lounge and laundry and kitchenette area). My house plus a keg of Icehouse was the reason house picnics were banned after 1995.

I predict the next little brewing "fad" bubble will be everything "NE" style... Just like how everything became "Imperial" for a bit. Brewers will be applying the same techniques they do to get NE IPAS to other styles... Like NE Irish Reds, NE Stouts.... We'll see.

Can I interest you in my NE Hefeweizen recipe? Your's for just $10...

I am fermenting a golden ale right now. While I was researching to create my recipe I saw references to the style being as ubiquitous as IPA is now, but it was in fashion pre 2000.

They are back in style now, but called session IPAs...

Cream ale is having a moment. It seems like maybe it's replacing blonde ale as the summer light beer of choice? I'm definitely seeing cream of three crops and fizzy yellow beer come up a lot more often than centennial blonde.

Just tapped into mine, used mosaic. Waayyy better than the Genesee Cream Ale I am used to

Yep, me too. I made Cream of Three Crops a couple weeks ago with 1007. Kegged and gelatin'ed it a week and a half ago and one of these days it'll get clear ...

I remember a few years back all my coworkers were raving on about "coronitas" but I haven't heard anything about them in years.

If these are those margaritas with the little corona bottles in them then I'm guilty of liking them. Haha.
I used to get them on the water front tiki bars on the river after being on the boat all day. I'd still get one if I was feeling saucy! :ban:

Been seeing session sours a lot lately. Seems like a more sour gose with a tad less abv. Not really sure about it as a long lasting style. Hell, gose was a style that every brewery went nuts over last summer. I still see some around but not nearly as many as year or so ago.

Been seeing session sours a lot lately. Seems like a more sour gose with a tad less abv. Not really sure about it as a long lasting style. Hell, gose was a style that every brewery went nuts over last summer. I still see some around but not nearly as many as year or so ago.

Goses... Guezes...whatever they are called... I think they hit the homebrewing community for a few weeks last summer in terms of hot ness....

Had a NEIPA today from Raleigh Brewing. We used to call that hop water.

I didn't think it was to style...too dry, watery; tasted like they took a west coast IPA, threw in some random hops and didn't filter it to make it cloudy. too bad. Oak & Dagger did something similar a month ago, but at least it had more flavor, but I didn't like it either. Once you have a real NEIPA you know it.

If these are those margaritas with the little corona bottles in them then I'm guilty of liking them. Haha.
I used to get them on the water front tiki bars on the river after being on the boat all day. I'd still get one if I was feeling saucy! :ban:

I thought Coronitas were the same as Coronas just in 7 or 8oz bottles...

I'm still waiting for the Bitter fad to start over here (the American interpretation of ESB served on keg doesn't count).

My friend* must have served about 4,000 casks of it this week, at one location. He'll have served maybe 10,000 casks of all real ales styles by closing tomorrow.

*plus the beer festival volunteers working for him.

Anyone remember back 30 years ago in the mid 80's when they came out with Michelob Dark? They really pushed that beer with all the advertisements. It was malty and pretty good back then before all the craft beer was available. Then later no one cared and they stopped brewing it.

John

Ahhh....Mickey D! Mickey D was the NICE beer people bought kegs of in college. We couldn't afford kegs of Pete's Wicked, so it was Mickey D or Killians Irish Brown for the beer lovers, and South Paw or Red Dog for something between "good" and Coors......

I thought Coronitas were the same as Coronas just in 7 or 8oz bottles...

no idea... I guess I'm not up to speed on my Corona lingo. Either way those margaritas with the little corona's in em are good... whatever they['re called!

Speaking of little beers, I recently learned that Bloody Marys don't automatically come with a tiny Heine/six-ounce draft beer when you're outside of Wisconsin.

I've had one of these. It was surprisingly good. I've been wanting to make one with the cal common yeast for a while. But then there's so many other things to do...

The California Commons yeast has really become my go-to for IPAs (I can't stand the fruity grossness of US-05/Chico). I don't use pilsner malt or anything, but the "hybrid" yeast strain really drops clear and bright and has a very neutral flavor for hops-forward beers. I generally ferment around 54-56 degrees and crash/lager for a week or so before kegging. I call it India Steam Ale if pressed.

I just got back from Barcelona, and all over the place they serve half n half beer mixed with Lemon Fanta... so kind of like a radler.

My girlfriends family does something similar to a Smirnoff "rocket" posted a page or two back, only it's a lager mixed with a Palm Bay cooler. They call them "Turbos" or "Ghetto Fabulous". Not that bad actually, the beer basically cuts the fruit and sugar to a reasonable level.

I'm really tired of seeing shandy. Fruit in beer is just wrong to me. Either have a lemonade or have a beer, hell, have one of each at the same time just don't mix them together. Gaaaaaak...

Ordered one of these tonight because of this post. Not bad, but now that I've had one I don't think I'll order one again real soon.

Back