Beer conditioning in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmd

Reaction score
If I have a keg but not any place to keep it cold, can I condition in the leg and then fill growlers to refrigerate.

Short answer is yes, but you will lose some carbonation. So try and compensate for that.

But if it will all go into growlers, why wouldn't you condition in the growlers?

If you intend to force carb the keg, then you've got the right idea, but i'm reading that you are conditioning in the keg, not force carbing. Is that correct?

This thread will be very helpful on how to transfer to bottles without losing too much carbonation:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I guess I am trying to figure out how t o start to get into kegging before I have a place to keep them cold..

So you would be force carbing with Co2?

Or are you just looking to sort of experiment with how much sugar it takes to condition a keg?

The challenges will be:

1) Carbonating properly at room temp. Most of us do it at 38-40*F.

2) Dispensing beer at room temp without getting gobs of foam. Good luck with that.

Until you're set up to do it right, it's better to bottle carb.

Back