Beer Cap Quality Grades?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
Every shop seems to just carry oxygen barrier caps. Are there different grades or qualities of caps? We hope to bottle age mead for over 5 years and some ciders and dont seem to see any options for different grades of caps, if there is an option? WVMJ

Every shop seems to just carry oxygen barrier caps. Are there different grades or qualities of caps? We hope to bottle age mead for over 5 years and some ciders and dont seem to see any options for different grades of caps, if there is an option? WVMJ

I've only seen two types of caps- the plain regular ones, and the oxygen absorbing ones.

The oxygen absorbing ones are supposed to take up oxygen in the headspace, but I've never used them and can't say if the claim is really true.

Thanks Yooper, so its not like corks where there are so many differnet grades and choices, you just have normal and oxy barrier to choose from, just making sure I wasnt missing some small company run by a maniac obsessed with long term beer storage who created the worlds greatest beer caps! WVMJ

Thanks Yooper, so its not like corks where there are so many differnet grades and choices, you just have normal and oxy barrier to choose from, just making sure I wasnt missing some small company run by a maniac obsessed with long term beer storage who created the worlds greatest beer caps! WVMJ

Haha, no, not like wine corks with different sizes and grades and materials.

One tip- you can sanitize the regular caps in whatever sanitizer you use, but only sanitize how many you need. I've had them rust around the sides if I had a couple of extra ones in there and later tried to save them.

Back