Beer bottle bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemieuxp

Reaction score
Ok.. Can I drink a beer, dump the bottom into a diluted solution of DME and let the critters grow for a brew day next weekend?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not really. It's called culturing yeast from dregs.

It's a little more complicated than that. You've got the idea, but you need to start with small volumes of wort and work your way up to a pitchable volume. It takes multiple steps.

That being said, you can do it (assuming the beer your using was bottle conditioned using the same yeast used to ferment the beer). There are stickies on how to do it.

I've used this method before, it's best to do a yeast starter at about a quart of heavy wort with about 3 bottles of beer (just the yeast layer). Some people advise against all sorts of things, but you can get a good yeast culture using your method. If you don't have at least three bottles of good beer, start with a small amount of wort, maybe a cup. Then bump up til you have a roughly a quart.

My understanding is you should also start with a lower gravity starter. Not sure why...maybe something about minimizing stress considering the ultra-low yeast counts will require extra starter steps?

Latest posts

Back