Beer body - Kegged vs bottle conditioned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol-hazza

Reaction score
So I recently started kegging, and my last two batches have come out of the keg very light bodied. I assumed it was a mash temperature problem (been missing my mash temps in the new kettle) however over the weekend I opened some of the same beers which I had bottle carbonated and they had a nice creamy mouthfeel which seemed spot on.

I wouldn't have thought that the small extra amount of sugar for bottle carbonation would have had such an effect, so am wondering if bottle conditioning does add a noticeable amount of body or is the problem perception based as the kegged beer was a) cooler and b) probably more highly carbonated?

If you use light malt extract for bottle conditioning, it will very slightly increase the body. If you use crystalline sugar for bottle conditioning, it will very slightly decrease the body. If you force carbonate in the keg, there will be no changes to the body from changes in sugars, proteins, and/or alcohol.

I would wager that this is an issue of carbonation being higher in the keg than your bottles.

Back