Beer and your dog...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you give your dog homebrew. I've never been one to give beer to dogs but my awesome Rott turned 4 yesterday and I thought about giving her a beer. Then I thought about the runs she would probably get from the homebrew and since I don't have any store bought beer she didn't get one. Anyway, just thought I'd get some other opinions.

I named my Oktoberfest after my dog Freckles...Freckle Fest!

He does get a taste every once in a while with no ill effects.

When I was in college one day my friend gave his sister's dog a bunch of beer. The dog would get on his hine legs and beg for it. After a while he would get on his hine legs but fall over. The next day you could tell the dog didn't feel to hot and the dog would never touch beer again. Of course dogs are smarter than people.

Make her some spent grain dog cookies. I put some stale cheese puffs & a can of sweet corn in the last batch. I also coated the pan with lots of bacon grease.

I dip the tip of my finger into my pint glass and let my dogs have a taste. My pit loves the stuff and will do any trick in her repertoire to get some. My German Shepherd will taste it but is pretty ambivalent about it. Go figure, a german that's not crazy about beer.

my dog has been offered numerous beers. she will lick porter off my finger, but likes beer less the more hoppy it is. smart dog, i suppose.

My dog usually just gets brew as part of cleanup after she knocks over a brew with her tail or her kong. She's pretty good at knocking over glasses.

-cheers

I dip the tip of my finger into my pint glass and let my dogs have a taste. My pit loves the stuff and will do any trick in her repertoire to get some. My German Shepherd will taste it but is pretty ambivalent about it. Go figure, a german that's not crazy about beer.

Funny. I have a pit and a german shepherd(mixed with akita) also and it sounds like they have similar tastes. My pit LOVES beer. His favorites are Cali Common and suprisingly, my Black Imperial Rye IPA. I just pour a few teaspoons on the patio and he licks it off. My german shepherd is suspicious of pretty much every thing so he'll smell my beer but has no interest in tasting any. When I pour a beer and am sitting with them, my pit will muscle the shepherd out of the way so he can ensure he gets any beer I pour out for them.

I give my dog beer often. He loves it. I will say "you want some beer?" and his ears will perk up and he starts licking his lips. Sometimes when I am at the keggerator he will walk in behind me without me noticing and I will turn around and he is sitting there licking his lips. He will follow me around if I have a glass, especially when it is dark. I suppose he knows the only dark stuff I carry in a glass is beer. Our other dog will give the beer a obligatory sniff because I put it in the bowl, but she does not care for it at all.

It's pretty safe to give your dog a little beer. I would not give him/her too much, though... not likely to be really bad for the little critter's health, as long as you aren't giving him freakin' vodka or something -- but I knew some folks who let their dog get drunk at parties, and one time he just walked into the center of the room in a group of like a dozen people and took a giant piss. Yes, it lowers their inhibitions too. Watch out ;)

Here is my Black Lab/St. Bernie mix Abby enjoying a sip of my porter. Her step brother Doug the Pug jealously watches on.

DSCN0740.JPG

Well I gave my rottie some beer Saturday. Poured her my first lager, a light Pilsner. I figured something light would be nice for her. She licked at it for about 10 seconds and she was done! I don't know if that says something about my beer or not!

You have to watch your beer around my boxer. He will purposely spill your beer because after a few drunken (mostly friends) mishaps he learned he could clean it up. If I spoke dog I would hear him saying Oops, guess I have to clean it up.

When I was in college one day my friend gave his sister's dog a bunch of beer. The dog would get on his hine legs and beg for it. After a while he would get on his hine legs but fall over. The next day you could tell the dog didn't feel to hot and the dog would never touch beer again. Of course dogs are smarter than people.

I was about to post something similar. Gave my dachshund a can of my mom's coors light, she loved it at the time, but never would touch it when offered a second time. of course, maybe its just she had better taste than my mom.

same thing when i gave her some of my extra spicy fajita chicken. such a smart move for such a stupid, but lovable dog.

Back