Been in a brewing Rut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
I have so many things I can brew with, but I just haven't gotten into brewing lately. It's probably been almost a year since I've brewed anything. I've had the time, just haven't gotten the motivation to do it.

I'm gonna force myself to do it. It's a weird thing that happens to me when I fall out of things. It happened with sports, guitar, you name it. Brewing has been hard as it was something I did with my brother, now over 400 miles away I haven't had the drive to do it myself but I need to change it and get back to one of my favorite hobbies (hard to pick between it and guitar)

Anyway wish me luck and ask what I brewed, cause I still haven't decided. I have a ton of hops so I think I'm gonna make an IIPA or maybe an over hopped barley wine since it probably won't be ready until the cold of November.

Yeah man, I have the same problem. I go through slumps with everything I do too. Usually because I overdo it one way or another...

Anyway, I vote that you make something simple, maybe even extract (gasp) to wet your pallet and get you excited about doing it again.

Or invite a friend over and enjoy the social part of it. Brewing and beer in general is more fun with friends

I also think you should get another brewing buddy. I know it wouldn't replace your brother, but if you could find someone interested, it may help to spark it in you again. I also would suggest an old Brewing network show if you listen. I am listening through the archives right now, and it is always inspiring to just have fun with it all and keep brewing. maybe brew your favorite style?

Having a special occasion, holiday or event makes it fun to brew a new beer. That can help motivate you to keep going in addition to the pure love for brewing. Pumpkin/Oktoberfest beers for Fall, Bourbon barrel aged stout for the Star Wars movie, Barleywine for New Years, etc.

Hope it all works out!

Having a special occasion, holiday or event makes it fun to brew a new beer. That can help motivate you to keep going in addition to the pure love for brewing. Pumpkin/Oktoberfest beers for Fall, Bourbon barrel aged stout for the Star Wars movie, Barleywine for New Years, etc.

Hope it all works out!

Well, my hope for tomorrow is to do an IPA or IIPA that should be ready around my brithday (which is jst a touch under 2 months away) which means I would have plenty of time even with a slow primary to have it secondary and bottled to drink for my birthday party.

Then the following week I'm hoping (after I order some more supplies) to get a quad and a stout started for the winter.

I am sure once I get batch one out of the way the bug will be back. I have a decent stable of ingredients that should make for more than a few delicious brews.

Yeah man, I have the same problem. I go through slumps with everything I do too. Usually because I overdo it one way or another...

Anyway, I vote that you make something simple, maybe even extract (gasp) to wet your pallet and get you excited about doing it again.

Or invite a friend over and enjoy the social part of it. Brewing and beer in general is more fun with friends

For me it's not a difficulty thing. I've brewed several failed beers in the past. I enjoy the process as much as the end result. And I have the technique and equipment, it's jst like taking that first step, haven't had it yet haha.

Part of my problem I think is the social part. I live in a pretty remote (by my NJ standards) part of the country and there are people interested but I really haven't found the way to communicate with them yet. It's my fault on that front though. Because if I had the will, I'd find the way.

Just do it. The bug will come right back.

I stopped for 7 years, then someone bought me a kit .......... it took a while but I eventually brewed it ............. it turned out OK, and got the bug back. I bought tons of hops and grain, and got right back into it, and been goibg strong for the past 6 years.

You just have to take that first step.

Well, my hope for tomorrow is to do an IPA or IIPA that should be ready around my brithday (which is jst a touch under 2 months away) which means I would have plenty of time even with a slow primary to have it secondary and bottled to drink for my birthday party.

Then the following week I'm hoping (after I order some more supplies) to get a quad and a stout started for the winter.

I am sure once I get batch one out of the way the bug will be back. I have a decent stable of ingredients that should make for more than a few delicious brews.

I hear ya. I made some great friends at local homebrew club meetings. I've learned a lot by attending their brew days, and found a ton of inspiration that way too. We're all pretty like minded as homebrewers.

Small update.

I didn't brew that day, forget the reason why something or another happened and I didn't get home til very late. Week after my parents were visiting. And during all this, Anyway, last week I was gonna do it, I was all set up, then I just hit too many **** ups, grain had bugs in it (it was way too old) and my yeast were all suspect.

After restocking on supplies (and I'm really glad Love2Brew was able to get me my supplies in by Friday when I ordered on like Tuesday) and got my beer I wanted to brew almost a month ago started today. Just started my boil. So far it seems to be running A OK.

What I noted is my old economy kettle has pretty much had it. Thankfully I saw in the sponsor section that Spike Brewing had 25% off so I replaced my old 5 gallon economy kettle with a 15 gallon thick stainless steel kettle. Super excited for when that eventually comes in.Though I'll need a few other parts of course to finish setting it up.

Anyway it feels good to be back brewing. I'll need to make some adjustments to my system as I see some annoying things about where I'm living now vs my old apartment, but I will get through it for sure.

Back