Bee Cave Haus Ale Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
So I ran to the LHBS to pick up the ingredients for Edwort's Haus Ale which calls for:

8 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
8 oz Crystal 10

They unfortunately only had 1 lb of vienna left which left me in a bit of predicament. I racked my brain, couldn't come up with anything even remotely pertinent to my situation and told the guy to just throw in a lb of Marris Otter. So my recipe is stock except for the substitution of a lb of MO for a lb of Vienna.

Just wondering how bad of a choice that was and what I can expect from the finished product. To be honest, I am not expecting to be able to tell much of a difference. Just looking for some input.

Thanks folks.

Eh, why not? You may have a winner on your hands. :p

I've only brewed it once, and it's still sitting on the yeast cake as a matter of fact. So...

I think the difference will be rather negligent, just looking for someone who knows their malt profiles to chime in and let me know what they think. Brewing two batches tomorrow night after work, should be rather epic and sleep deprived.

All I found was that the Marris Otter is going to be a little nutty compared to vienna- not much though.

This beer comes out so lite I dont think it will make a big change over all. I think it will come out fine wit the MO

Back