Beaglebone Electric Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonebrews

Reaction score
Hey guys. :beard: I am in the process of building an electric brewery using a beaglebone black as the PID controller. It will be controlled via laptop/tablet/phone. It is a bit of a different build than most I have seen here. I am limited to 120V as power source right now, so I am having to rely on two separate 120v 15A breakers. I am doing a 5 gal build so it isn't as big of a problem, but still I didn't want to wait all day on the BK to get to temp. I've put two 1500W elements in the BK that will be fed from the two separate breakers. There is also one of the same elements in my HLT. I obviously can't run all three at once.

This really makes me want to have taken some electrical engineering courses in undergrad! I have had a steep learning curve thus far, so I wanted to see if you guys could review my wiring. You may notice I don't have any switches- it will all be controlled via web browser. I may add main-line switches later on, but I really don't see the purpose for them if it's all controlled via web. There will be an e-stop; it's just not pictured. I'll be putting redundancy in my code for ensuring the three elements won't be firing at once.
I don't have fuses, the temp probes or the pumps shown in the diagram yet.

Would connecting both grounds add any safety? (i.e if for some reason the ground on circuit 1 became disconnected and circuit 1 needed grounding, it would run through circuit 2's.)

Is there anything else I should consider adding? Later I would like to add float sensors to keep from dry firing, or volume sensors (if I can find a good method) for keeping track of kettle volume and a speaker or buzzer.

Hopefully this is legible- I used Visio- If too compressed, I uploaded a copy here
array.jpg

Kick ass. I went 'old school' on my panel and went for all physical controls. I was never impressed with the automated builds I saw for the praticality level for my setup. But me as the inner computer nerd (linux/programming past) and hardware tinkerer I always desired something a little bit modern. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my panel.

I applaud what you've done/doing here.

To answer your question regarding the grounds, I would say include them both. As you said, if one comes disconnected the other will act as a backup ground.

I look forward to seeing this in action. I bought a BBB a few months ago with the same intentions but decided to just use a PID instead. I'm currently trying to figure out how to use the BBB in place of a RPi for the RaspberryPints Digital Taplist build.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Its slow progress right now due to work but I will try to keep this post and my blog updated

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Any idea when you plan on releasing your code for this? I'm just about to begin a BBB powered eBIAB project, but I always prefer to collaborate than to develop parallel projects in isolation.

I look forward to seeing your progress with the BBB, I am looking to update my panel from my Auber PID's to having a BBB or RPI control everything (minus valves) and displaying on a tablet.

The diagram is a tad hard to follow on my laptop but I didn't see any glaring errors. Ground is ground. Redundancy certainly wouldn't hurt. I don't know if a shared ground would shut down the other circuits if something happened in one but that wouldn't be a bad thing anyhow. I don't think it would but I simply don't know.

I was considering using a BBB for another project but haven't looked into it much yet. I've wondered the best/any way of having the phone/whatever talk to the BBB? USB? WIFI? What does the BBB need for this? I started my other project with an Arduino and display with buttons for input. This got ugly fast. When I finally broke down and got a smart phone I realized it was stupid not to use something like a phone that most people would have anyway to run the thing.

I like the web browser interface idea. I've had this discussion with my son about client server models and how browsers make them more or less platform neutral.

subscribed..... I am still contemplating between rpi and bbb.... still trying to figure out what will work best with my needs and past programming skills in JS and .NET

Back