Beach Bar Brewery - All In One 200l Electric Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

...it ain't sold in heaven...
Reaction score
Cheers Everyone,

My wife and I have recently (by way of inheritance, lawyers and court) come into a hotel on the Greek island of Evia. The place needs a lot of work and money, but since we're masochistic enough to take it on, we're setting off to try our hand in the tourism business.

With that out of the way, on to the brewing stuff. We have it in our minds to brew and give complimentary beers to our guests initially. After some time, we will see if it takes off and move to another level of brewing. For now, we're keeping it 'homebrew' style and small scale.

The planned brew rig:

An 'All-In-One' similar to the 200 liter Spiedel Braumeister.

So far, we have a 200 liter stainless tank, control box (electric setup), two 5500 watt elements, 4500 watt element (on order), three PIDs, control panel lights, switches, circuit breakers, and sanitary tri-clamp fittings to setup the plumbing.

A 70 liter brew kettle will be sacrificed to become the malt pipe (grain basket). I plan to chop the bottom out of the kettle, while leaving a lip to hold inserts similar to a false bottom. The system should work like a BIAB, while offering the convenience and sustainability of stainless steel. :rockin:

My initial idea is to reverse sparge or make a constant Vorlauf during the lautering phase--meaning, the pump will take the wort from a bottom drain located outside of the malt pipe and slowly pump it back through the center bottom drain which is inside of the malt pipe. A piece of perforated stainless steel tubing would disperse to the wort through the lautering grains to extract as much convertible sugars as possible potentially give a very thorough grain wash.

Currently, the first design issue is establishing a variable speed for the pump. During lautering I would like the pump to run at very low RPM to simply circulate the wort through the malt pipe.

The second problem is that I will have two 5500W elements in the kettle. The 4500W I mentioned above will be a RIMS style, where the pump will circulate the strike water prior to adding grains in order to decrease 'time-to-boil' times. 180 liters of 13C water with 11000W takes approximately 90 minutes to boil :confused: By adding the third element, I can reduce the time-to-boil to 60 minutes. :ban: My question is what setup should I use. I'm planning to use all stainless tri-clamp sanitary fittings. I could in corporate two reducers and straight pipe that would house the third element (4500W), which would only fire during strike water heating and maybe during the boil (depending on my test results after the build).

That's it for now. I've ordered Kal's Electric Brewery build .pdf in order to setup my control panel. The Internet is really slow for me at the moment, as I only have a really low signal on 3G, so uploading photos is a pain. I will try to get some pics uploaded soon so everyone can have a look at what I've got at the moment.

Cheers and I look forward to the replies.

Dan:mug:

IMG_20150506_201022.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thought I'd chime in, I have a Braumister clone I built using 100L pot as main kettle, I had malt pipes fabed for the job, 32L and 55L, the 32 is good for double batches of 1050 or there abouts usually 44L; the 55L is good for about 70L of 1050 or bigger beers.
Your elements seem well in the ball park to run the system. However your malt pipe would be lucky to produce 120L. I'm from Australia and the guys on an Aussie affiliate site have gone over this sort of thing in detail, I haven't done the numbers so I can't give you exact figures . However I will try and track down the spreed sheet that allows you to put in your vessel volumes, and give you an approximation of out put.
I note you said 3 PID's; One for each element? It should be one for each vessel eg Kettle has to elements one PID controls both, with 2 SSR's (this is how my system is setup). The other thing to consider is using a dedicated 1v controller, automated steps, tells you when to add grain, tells you when to pull the pipe and has timer for hops. The size of the system and it's power requirements are of no issue to the controller; all it does is switch SSR's.
End of the day the control setup would be cheaper and less hands on. I'll see if I can find some links and doc's that may help you out.

froot

ED: the BM50 has a malt pipe of 46L for grain bed efficiency the optimum grain bill would be 9.3kg. For some reason I can't upload the XL doc, if you would like it PM me your email and I'll send you a copy. Also if you would like more info on the controller and where to get one let me know(not affiliated etc just been on this for a couple of years) cheers.

Last edited:
That just sounds too cool. Are there any issues with island water? Have you brewed with it before?

Actually the water on this particular island varies greatly depending on the region. On the north of the island there are hot springs which have a great deal of minerals and to the south there are several mountains famous for their water. Some of the most famous bottled water companies in Greece are located on the island.

I'll be taking water from a well. I plan to have it tested soon to see what kind of readings I get. In the past I've gone to springs on the island and brought jugs of the water home to brew with. I've had great results so far, but no real analysis of the water yet.

Cheers,
Dan

Okay, I'm starting to get the pics uploaded slowly.

Here is the 200 Liter vessel that I plan on using for the build.

IMG_20150529_165951.jpg

More pics.

One is of a cedar that I cut down about 6 months ago. The beetles had gotten to it. It was nearly dead so we called the local forestry guy. He said we couldn't save it, so it was better to cut it.

Luckily for me, I need to wrap my All-In-One in cedar to help it hold some heat. So this pile is headed off to the sawmill on Tuesday to be cut down to 40x40mm strips. Hoping to have the local fab shop cut some thin strips of stainless to turn into band clamps to squeeze it all together.

The other is my Camco 5500W elements.

Cheers,
Dan

IMG_20150529_125014.jpg

IMG_20150529_165959.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thought I'd chime in, I have a Braumister clone I built using 100L pot as main kettle, I had malt pipes fabed for the job, 32L and 55L, the 32 is good for double batches of 1050 or there abouts usually 44L; the 55L is good for about 70L of 1050 or bigger beers.
Your elements seem well in the ball park to run the system. However your malt pipe would be lucky to produce 120L. I'm from Australia and the guys on an Aussie affiliate site have gone over this sort of thing in detail, I haven't done the numbers so I can't give you exact figures . However I will try and track down the spreed sheet that allows you to put in your vessel volumes, and give you an approximation of out put.
I note you said 3 PID's; One for each element? It should be one for each vessel eg Kettle has to elements one PID controls both, with 2 SSR's (this is how my system is setup). The other thing to consider is using a dedicated 1v controller, automated steps, tells you when to add grain, tells you when to pull the pipe and has timer for hops. The size of the system and it's power requirements are of no issue to the controller; all it does is switch SSR's.
End of the day the control setup would be cheaper and less hands on. I'll see if I can find some links and doc's that may help you out.

froot

ED: the BM50 has a malt pipe of 46L for grain bed efficiency the optimum grain bill would be 9.3kg. For some reason I can't upload the XL doc, if you would like it PM me your email and I'll send you a copy. Also if you would like more info on the controller and where to get one let me know(not affiliated etc just been on this for a couple of years) cheers.

PM sent. I'd love to have the XL doc. My current (malt pipe) kettle dimensions are 38cm x 65cm (70L max volume). The new vessel for the kettle is 58cm x 81cm (200L max volume).

:mug:

Sorry haven't gotten back to you, we had a death in the family over the weekend, has been a long time expected but has kept me busy. Will send over some docs in the next few days in the mean time have a read of this and this and thispost. The guy selling the complete controller with everything including CNC case, and no soldering required is Lael contact him on AHB via PM though you might want to be quick as I believe he has already ordered parts though he may have the odd spot vacant (note this was setup as a bulk buy so we're talking 100 plus units and most have been spoken for AFIK). If that don't work for you, there is an all in one boad shortly to be released, but Lael's kit would be the easiest way to go.

Last edited:
Sorry haven't gotten back to you, we had a death in the family over the weekend, has been a long time expected but has kept me busy. Will send over some docs in the next few days in the mean time have a read of this and this and thispost. The guy selling the complete controller with everything including CNC case, and no soldering required is Lael contact him on AHB via PM though you might want to be quick as I believe he has already ordered parts though he may have the odd spot vacant (note this was setup as a bulk buy so we're talking 100 plus units and most have been spoken for AFIK). If that don't work for you, there is an all in one boad shortly to be released, but Lael's kit would be the easiest way to go.

My condolences.

Thanks for the info and no worries about any delay. I've been a bit sick as well lately and haven't really made any progress other than getting the cedar wood cut to begin making the strips.

I'm away for the weekend, so Monday I'll get further along with my plans. I've started looking at the forums you suggested. Although, I can't see any pics, as I'm not part of the forums. Is it possible that I can join these groups?

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Link for signing up to AHB, site is owned by the same ppl who run HBT.

Thanks froot!

I'm registered and able to check out the pics now....good stuff on this forum regarding the 'one pot' designs.

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Guys!

Little slow on the updates lately. Not a lot of progress. I received some parts in the mail (valves and fittings mostly). I've been trying to get quite a lot of brewing done before I tear down the old system.

I have a Mulberry Wheat (fresh mulberries last month), a Frost White IPA (modified), a Yuengling themed dark American Lager and a Cerveza in fermentation.

I fixed a temporary fermentation chamber/lagering chamber from an old ice cream freezer and an STC 1000.

Cheers,
Dan

IMG_20150626_193516.jpg

IMG_20150626_193524.jpg

We made some progress on the control panel. Heat sink installed and some grey paint added.

More to come...

Cheers,
AlfA01

IMG_20150712_091251.jpg

Last edited:
Stumbled across this recently. In its previous life it was a 250l wine press and filtration system. It looks like a potential candidate for an upgraded boil kettle to me.

Only drawback is the 'greenbacks'....the fella asking around $2000 for it. The photo really doesn't do it justice, this thing is big.....a lot of SS in this unit!

IMG_20150702_130244.jpg

Updated pic of the panel. i've been talking with the folks on Kal's site at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28329&highlight=phase

I'm trying to setup my rig to run with 3-phase input which is split into individual legs that power single phase 220V elements.

I plan on running two 5500W elements in BIAC and a RIMS that is 4500W. Of course, the RIMS will never be fired at the same time as the boil elements. With 50 amps I can mathematically run the two 5500W elements simultaneously for the boil with no problems.

Any input/

Cheers
AlfA01

IMG_20150712_091335.jpg

Back