BE 256 Correcting Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fermenting a BPA using BE 256.
I put the fermenter in front of an air conditioning vent to keep it cool and put a box around it to make a cheap chiller. This brought the fermentation temp down to 60.
I took off the box because I was worried about it being too low. Now the temp has shot up to around 76.

I was contemplating putting the box back on it to bring the temperature down, but thought this might shock the yeast. Should I cool it back down or let it ride?

Thank you.

Fermentis recommended: Fermentation temperature: 54°-77°F, Ideally 59-68°F
I'd go with the box. Maybe move it a bit further from the AC?

Cheers!

BE-256 is not very belgiany, albeit very clean even when compared with T-58 and Abbaye ( Lallemand ), but a good attenuator.

If you are brewing a Belgian beer, you must like/love the phenols, spices and fruity esters most belgian beers offer. Personally, I would ferment warm, as I enjoy more esters in my beers, especially those styles, where the yeast does most of the job, in terms of aroma and flavour. ( hefeweizens, belgian beers )

As I type this I'm tasting a tripel fermented with BE-256. I fermented at 19C (66F). There's nothing but banana and diacetyl. Being a POF- yeast I'm not surprised at the lack of spicy phenols but I do miss them. Not sure I'd call this a real Belgian yeast, let alone an Abbey yeast.

Latest posts

Back