BCS Workflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughingboysbrew

Reaction score
I've got my BCS box all set up and I'm working through the configuration. Curious how others have done their boil/hop workflow. I have a buzzer hooked up to an SSR/output that I'd like to leverage to alert me (in case the computer goes to sleep).

If I have a process called Boil/Hop and it moves between states based on a timer for the hop schedule.... my understanding is that my physical alarm (via an output) will sound for the entire duration of a state? correct?

So, I would need to do States like:
1. Boil (no alarm)
2. Alarm Hop addition
3. continue boil with timer (no alarm)
4. Alarm Hop addition
5. continue boil with timer (no alarm)
etc...

Input button would move between Alarm and "continue" states.
Is there a better way I'm not thinking of? This isn't the most critical...for 60-90 min, I can set my owner timer...just thought I'd use the BCS if I could.

Sounds like you are right. The bcs will assert the outputs assigned to that state. You can hardwire a "next" button or use the web interface to end the alarm and go the next timer countdown to the next alarm. The next button on the panel would just go to a din slot on the bcs.

I just run my boil manually. I have "ramp to boil" where my elements are at 100% and then "maintain boil" which usually drops my elements to a 65% duty cycle. I use a web0 next button to end the ramp state and go to maintain state.

Sounds like you are right. The bcs will assert the outputs assigned to that state. You can hardwire a "next" button or use the web interface to end the alarm and go the next timer countdown to the next alarm. The next button on the panel would just go to a din slot on the bcs.

I just run my boil manually. I have "ramp to boil" where my elements are at 100% and then "maintain boil" which usually drops my elements to a 65% duty cycle. I use a web0 next button to end the ramp state and go to maintain state.

I've got the input button wired, just like you mentioned. My biggest 'challenge' is that there just are not enough states to get through some of the hop profiles I have.

I'm also programming similar "Heat to Boil" and "Maintain Boil" states. 100% and 75% respectively. Did you find the web button better than just monitoring for 212 or 213 temp programmatically and switching states then?

I'm also thinking of adding a Whirlpool state with 5 minutes left in the boil. Activated via button, it would bump the element back up to 100% while it kicked off the pump to recirculate/whirlpool before chilling.

You don't have to have a separate state just for the alarm. You can setup each state to assert the alarm upon exiting a state. You can then use the Web interface or an external button to cancel the alarm. There is a setting to use register 10 to trigger a Dout as an alarm. You will also use ladder logic to drive the Dout from register 10. You can setup a Din to drive register 10 in the ladder logic to cancel the alarm.

http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/Ladder_Logic#Force_Alarm_to_Register_10

With it setup like this you can just set each state as a timer to count down to the next hop addition and then the next state will start the next timer right away instead of needing a pause state in between the timer states.

I have 2 buttons on my panel. One is to cancel the alarm and the second one is to advance out of pause states.

I have my boil process as follows

1. Heat to 205f and sound the alarm upon exiting this state.
2. Hold at 205f until I press the advance button.
3. Switch to manual mode and run at 100% until I press the advance button.
4. Run at 65% for the remainder of the boil.

You don't have to have a separate state just for the alarm. You can setup each state to assert the alarm upon exiting a state. You can then use the Web interface or an external button to cancel the alarm.

Thanks! Here's my brief summary/confirmation (I'm new to ladder logic):
1. Set configuration to force BCS Alarm to Reg10
2. Via Ladder Logic, wire Reg10 to Output5
3. Via Ladder Logic, wire DIN0 to Reg10

*OUT5 is my buzzer
*DIN0 is my input

Then, anytime I "alarm on state change" the BCS and physical alarm will assert as well.

I have my boil process as follows

1. Heat to 205f and sound the alarm upon exiting this state.
2. Hold at 205f until I press the advance button.
3. Switch to manual mode and run at 100% until I press the advance button.
4. Run at 65% for the remainder of the boil.

Curious what the benefit of manual mode is for you? Why not hold at 205 until you're ready, then just heat at 100% and switch to 65% when you reach a given temp e.g. 212F ?

Thanks! Here's my brief summary/confirmation (I'm new to ladder logic):
1. Set configuration to force BCS Alarm to Reg10
2. Via Ladder Logic, wire Reg10 to Output5
3. Via Ladder Logic, wire DIN0 to Reg10

*OUT5 is my buzzer
*DIN0 is my input

Then, anytime I "alarm on state change" the BCS and physical alarm will assert as well.

Yup that is correct.

Curious what the benefit of manual mode is for you? Why not hold at 205 until you're ready, then just heat at 100% and switch to 65% when you reach a given temp e.g. 212F ?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. That is what I'm doing. Heat to 205f and hold it there until I'm ready then switch too 100% until it starts boiling. Then I press the advance button again to turn the element down to 65% for the remainder of the boil.

Back