BCS 80 shilling good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Scottish ale on Saturday for a friend's wedding. Never done this style before, so that should be fun. Without other input, I think we will try the BCS recipe with the boildown technique, rather than the crystal malt additions. WLP Scottish starter under way.

Anyone have any comments on this recipe or others? More to the point, do you prefer a boil-down method or using more specialty malts? The boil-down recipe is all base malt, with a touch of dark malt for color I presume.

Cheers!

Ok, so no input there....

In regards to the reduction of some first-runnings to amplify kettle carmelization, any idea how much I should reduce them to get this effect? By half? So much that it gets quite thick? I can't imagine that I could actually reduce to the point of malt extract, as that would surely scorch.

Cheers

I have only done the version of the recipe with kettle caramelization, so I can't tell you how it compares to the version with the specialty malts. I can, however, tell you that when I brewed my batch I ran off about a gallon and reduced it down by about a half before adding the rest of the runnings to the kettle. I was quite happy with the way the recipe turned out and it has been popular among my friends.

I am curious to see how much others have reduced their first runnings though. I think I would likely let the first runnings boil down a bit more if I were doing this recipe again.

The Homebrew Nerd
thehomebrewnerd.com

For some unknown reason, my efficiency was high this run. Gravity came in at 1.062 - high for an 80sh - more in the scotch ale category me thinks. 15gal batch, took three gallons of first runnings and boiled down to probably 2/3 to 1 gallon. Color stayed the same till near the end, then darkened quickly. Was the consistency of maple syrup. Tasted incredible - nothing like malt extract. Considering making more of this concentrate just for pancakes!

I took 3rd in the club only brew thru the AHA. with a 41 and 42 numbers. I did not do the kettle caramelization version. I use the wlp001 yeast . It was very happy with it

Back