BBQ regulators for Brutus build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drackean

Reaction score
Hey guys, been searching the forums for a while and can't seem to find an answer. I thought my question may deserve a new post.

I salvaged a manifold from an old BBQ (see pictures) to control gas flow on my upcoming "Brutus" build. The said manifold would be bolted on a stainless control panel with other bells and whistles. As I understand it, I can't see why it would not work. What do you think? Piping would be as follow :

-1/4 regular burner hose from tank to manifold
-Manifold reduce to 1/8 and split to the 2 "regulators", which have 1/8 MPT outlets
-1/8 FPT to 1/4 MPT adapters connects to hoses (or pipe) which connects to burners (I am using 2x BG14)

BTW, many builds I see are equipped with 3 burners. I want to do HERMS and I can't see why I need more than 2 burners (HLT and Boil). Am I missing something there?

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

Hopefully that "tank to manifold" is actually "regulator to manifold" as you're looking at a pair of simple valves. Otherwise, the only concern I'd have is whether all that 1/8" stuff will result in an undesirable fuel restriction to a BG-14.

As for the two-burner HERMS: I'm pretty sure that's the prototypical configuration. If there's a burner under the MLT you're now more in a recirculating direct-fired mash configuration, which would in turn obviate the pass through a HLT-resident HEX...

Cheers!

Hopefully that "tank to manifold" is actually "regulator to manifold" as you're looking at a pair of simple valves.

Yes, of course! Excuse me for overlooking that.

Otherwise, the only concern I'd have is whether all that 1/8" stuff will result in an undesirable fuel restriction to a BG-14.

Agreed. Is there some way to predict if it will be enough? If not, what will happen? Reduced BTU?

lol! Fluid dynamics is definitely not my thing.
Ones and zeroes pretty much covers the scope of what I know ;)
But, yes, the issue would be ending up with burner output lower than what you'd like to have.

For me, it'd be an experiment.
If it works, great, if not, there's alway Revision B...

Cheers!

Back