BBQ control panel for natural gas setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm designing my brew stand - single tier, three vessel, out of strut, and with dual banjo burners running on natural gas. It'll be largely manually controlled (I have a heat stick with PID controller for maintaining mash temps but that's it, the burners are controlled manually).

I had a wild idea - instead of having to reach down under my stand to adjust the burner valves....how about making use of a BBQ control panel? Any thoughts as to how this could be done? Double wild hare: bbq control panels have an push-button lighter. Could that be used as well?

As long as the valves on the knobs allow enough gas to flow to fuel the burners I would imagine that'd work. Keep in mind people often run up to 1/2" supply lines to the burner itself. I don't know if that's overkill or not but if the BBQ valves are too restrictive you won't be getting the full potential from your burners.
I'm not sure on the igniters. I can't see why they wouldn't work...it's just a sparker, after all. Kyle

Yeah I looked at a few, looks like 1/4 or even 1/8" through each knob. That won't do at all.

Back