Bayshore Beerfest WTF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
Not 100% sure this is the right forum, but here goes:

Went to the Bayshore Beerfest (Milwaukee) today, and had a great time. 100+ producers, 3+ options each. Lots of beer to try. But the whole thing confused me a little -- I was expecting an experience a little more like Napa wine tasting, where they give you some product, tell you what is special about what they are making, and try to sell you on the concept of what they are doing. But it wasnt like that -- you get to the front of the line, tell them which beer you want, they pour, you move on.

So, I kind of get it. They weren't selling on-site, so it wasn't like a winery where people might buy a couple hundred bucks of product if the salesmen worked it well enough, and there were so many people there that if they started talking in depth to any customers then a line of people wouldn't be getting served. So, beyond that:

1) There were several breweries in attendance from FAR SE Wisconsin and brewpubs from Madison. They don't distribute to the Milwaukee area. Why were they even there in the first place? Tickets to the event were $40/pp, unlimited tasting, so were the breweries getting a cut of revenue? They must, I find it hard to believe they would just give away product like that. But even if there is a little profit motive, why would they bother coming to town? It's not like I could buy their beer. I asked the brewmaster from one small place if they distribute or are in any restaurants nearby and the guy had to think to come up with an answer (he finally remembered he had placed beer in a town that was about 25 miles west of Milwaukee). Why wouldn't you at the very least have an answer to that question at the tip of your tongue?

2) That same place was serving a steam beer (Mosquito something or other). I've been planning on brewing a steam at some point this summer and I asked the guy what temp he ferments at. He said he starts at 58 until fermentation gets going and then drops to 52. Isn't that simply a lager without lagering?

Strange event. Fun, but I don't think it was as educational about beer as I hoped.

I went to seattle's Brew Fest yesterday (the one in Kenmore, for other seattleites)
a lot of it was kind of like you said (except no umlimited tasting, $20 for entry and 8 tokens, add'l tokens for $1.50. beers were 1 token, wines and meads were 2, and i hear that breweries pay for booths and get profits on each token rec'd)

some of the really big breweries (pike, elysian, stone, etc) wouldn't have the time to talk, but most of the rest would chat if you seemed interested. people in line don't complain if you do (after all, they have had several tasty craft brews at that point), and most booths had more than one guy pouring.

my guess is that the further off breweries are either counting on people from outside the area being there, or seeing about interest in your area. Our event was sponsored by all of the craft brew specialty stores in the area, so if Joe's brewery shows up and has a long line all weekend, they'll probably start carrying it at one or more of the local brew stores, or you may got to all your local shops and say "hey, do you guys carry Joes IPA?"

I have gone to two separate festivals with two very different different experiences...

1) St. Louis Brewers Heritage Festival...Large event, lots of people, and mainly like your experience... small talk, order, fill cup, walk away

2) Ska Brewing 15th anniversary Brew Fest...COMPLETELY different! Most of the brewers themselves were there pouring there beers and were very talkative and friendly, and they actually asked what you thought of the beer you were trying. One brewer was there with his wife pouring for the brewery, and my wife and I chatted with them for almost a half hour. In that time, my 4oz sample pour became a full pint pour, and was refilled to the brim again before we walked away! This was very different in size and atmosphere than the St. Louis event!

My feeling is that the breweries at the bigger festivals are just trying to get their name out and get their product to as many people to spread their name. The smaller events allow for more intimate contact between brewer/pourer and the consumer. Just another benefit (in my opinion) of living in a small town!

Beer barons was the same as you described too. I think they are trying to make $$, so they pack as many people in as they can. The staff (in my case) were all homebrewers or volunteers, but almost exclusively they had the personality of a wood post and would not talk to you even if you started asking questions. Now at the lakefront brewery setup, the owner was there talking shop and was very interesting. Same for st. Francis, mil ale house and crispin cider of all things. But all of those places had a stake in you buying their product again. The volunteers just had no dog in the fight.

I think it all comes down to training and not giving the people enough info, so instead of showing their lack of training, they are just quiet.

Most of the beer festivals I've been to have a mix of breweries pouring their beer, or hiring someone to do it for them. Either way, they get their beer out there to try. In the very least, you might remember their name and a special beer you've tried, that may not (yet) be available in your area.

I think that as the breweries get larger, and get a wider distribution area, they are less likely to serve their own beer and chat with you. Years ago I got to talk to several breweries in the state at festivals. Lately they seem to travel out of state a lot, and use hired help to pour.

I'd much rather chat with the brewers, or the people who work there, then to simply walk up and grab a beer. It's the main reason I have less interest in festivals nowadays. Still got a small one in Ludington each summer that is put on by the local brewery (Suds on the Shore) and usually there are a few of the regional breweries going to that one and they send actual people from the brewery, like Dave from Founders, who is friends with Tom from Jamesport in Ludington. It's a smaller setup, but i like it better because of that. I'm totally geeked for this year's event. They also put on a Homebrew competition, and I'm working towards 1st place this year! Crossing my fingers!

Back