Bayou Classic 1124 for 2.5 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I'm looking in to moving from 5 gallon AG to smaller BIAB batches. I've got a 9 gallon kettle and a Sanke Keggle already but they seem to be pretty much of an over kill to do smaller batches. I was looking at a 24 qt with a steamer basket on Amazon. Would this be good for 2.5 gallon (into the fermenter) batches? Would the steamer basket be big enough to hold a bag and grains?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTHX8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my opinion, I would not bother with a basket. With only 2.5 gallon batches, the bag should be easily manageable.

Using a basket is personal preference of course...

While a 6 gallon kettle is more appropriately sized for 2,5 gallon batches, I don't understand the downside to using the 9 gallon pot you already have?

Will the 9 gallon pot fit in your warmed oven to help hold mash temps?

Just my opinion, I would not bother with a basket. With only 2.5 gallon batches, the bag should be easily manageable.

Using a basket is personal preference of course...

While a 6 gallon kettle is more appropriately sized for 2,5 gallon batches, I don't understand the downside to using the 9 gallon pot you already have?

Will the 9 gallon pot fit in your warmed oven to help hold mash temps?

Back