Bayou Classic 1060 recirc port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasWine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang. Just bought a Bayou Classic 1060. Been wanting a volume increase, and when Bobby came out with those new false bottoms for BIAB my mind was made up.

Well, I got the kettle and I'm nervous my plan for where to locate the recirc line isn't going to work. I had thought I would locate it between the ridge used to support the steamer basket and the top kettle lip. Haven't drilled any holes yet, but it looks like that's going to be a very tight fit.

Anyone else out there use this kettle and attach a weldless bulkhead in the spot I'd like to place mine? I really want the recirc line in the kettle wall as opposed to the lid. I have one in the lid now and it's an awfully inconvenient location for how I brew.

Thanks for the link. Wow, that's a pricey piece of metal! Also, not entirely sure it solves my dilemma, but I also don't understand how that thing works so it could be my ignorance.

I'm concerned that there won't be enough room for the two hex heads to properly tighten because of the steamer basket support ridge is in the way. On the outside of the kettle there's about 1" from the bottom roll of the top lip and the beginning of the ridge. On the inside there a little more room because of that top lip roll.

I guess if push comes to shove I could put the bulkhead below the ridge, but then I'd need to figure out some way to get the wort return to the other side of the bag. Really hoping I don't need to return this kettle because I've already broken down the box it came in!

I'm sorry about that, I thought the clearance issue was between the fitting on the inside of the kettle and the basket. Unfortunately the lowest clearance requirement would come from a pull-through solder bulkhead.

Barring that, you could look at a smaller ID bulkhead; if you don't need 5-6g/minute then the 1/2ID is probably overkill. Also, if the fitting is above the highest use line in the kettle then your options open up considerably. A straight threaded 3/8 SS nipple with two nuts would let you secure a small 3/8 SS valve on the outside and mount a small hose barb on the inside.

I'll be able to tell you the answer when I get to the shop in the morning. Call the shop and remind me.

That'd be awesome! But the thing is, I have laryngitis (bronchitis too). Doc's orders, I can't talk for 5 days. Not even two days in and it's killing me. I think I'll have to make an exception for this.

When someone calls and it sounds something like McGruff the Crime Dog, that's me.

Love Sweet Brown!

Talked with Bobby this morn (thanks @Bobby_M). He did a little eval for me. Looks like it probably won't fit where I'd hoped. And if it did I'd have to be so precise with my hole drilling that NIST would be calling and asking for my mad skills.

So I've got a few options to mull over. The main reason I wanted to avoid going through the lid is because I'd like to pull and squeeze my hop strainer bag while I start chilling. With the return through the lid I can't pull my bag and let it drip back into the kettle.

Is there some type of recycle or whirlpool arm that simply hooks to the lip of the kettle?

I now use a sweated copper pipe with QDs to recirculate. I built it to hang over the side (see the copper thing to the right in the photo).

For a time, I also used a circular wooden lid lined with foil. I would use this as a lid and recirc through it (you can see the copper flow diffuser in the center of the lid in the photo) that works great too. When I stopped mashing, I would just switch over to the copper pipe to the right and direct the flow to one side to create a whirlpool for the immersion chiller. Works a treat and no holes in kettle or the metal lid.

06_Diverter.jpg

Latest posts

Back