Bayou BG-10 Burner - Good flame no power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baulz

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find anything similar to this. I've been using a turkey fryer burner from Bass Pro for a couple years and after leaving it out in the rain it got pretty rusty/nasty looking and got weaker to the point of crappy yellow flame that coated my pot in soot.

I broke down and bought a replacement Bayou BG-10 burner, hooked it up with the old hose and orifice and got a nice blue strong looking flame. Even with the regulator turned down low it looked good. Problem is there is no power to the flame. It took 30 minutes to get wort from 155F to boiling, then could barely keep a low boil going. Had the air control wide open and tried the regulator both low and wide open. Temp was around freezing that day and my propane tank did freeze up. Laying it on it's side would get more power for a second then back down again. Tried a different tank and got the same nice blue flame but no power.

In the end I moved the brew kettle to another Bass Pro turkey fryer and it worked fine (using the propane tank that froze up). I was obviously disapointed having to move a full hot pot as it was the first brew on my new ghetto 3 tier rig. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Should I be replcing the hose too? Everything has to be ordered online from where I live so it's a real pain to trial-and-error different parts.

Back