Bavarian Hefeweizen to Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassav

Reaction score
So while sitting bored at a long day of work I managed to decide one one thing while pondering another. I decided to finally contribute my first post to this extremely useful site after several months of using it as one of my main go-to pages for research. Now, to my dilemma...

I currently have 5 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen fermenting which will be ready to bottle on the 17th. I've been wanting to experiment with lambics for a long while and was thinking I could siphon off a gallon or two of the hefeweizen to a secondary fermentor and pitch some Brett over it then bottle what's left. I've even thought of doing a secondary over a fruit purée PLUS the Brett.

No doubt this is possible, but I haven't been able to find any other instances of someone else trying this and what their results where. So here's me asking have any of you tried doing something similar and ended up with decent results? Thanks.

Not sure how the yeast esters from the hefeweizen yeast would affect the flavor. So far, is it more banana or clove?

Not sure how the yeast esters from the hefeweizen yeast would affect the flavor. So far, is it more banana or clove?

Can't really say as I have it locked in the fermentor in a well ventilated room. Good idea though on checking complimentary yeast esters which I'll do some looking into now. At the very least I could still do the fruit puree regardless.

I have an infected Berliner that is on the way to being a low gravity lambic I have not checked on the Imperial Berliner in a long time but I would not be surprised if it to were infected with brett.

Back