Batch Sparging in Mead Recipe-confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTurkey

Reaction score
I've found a couple of recipes for dry artisanal meads that call for batch sparging at 148 F for 75 minutes. This recipe was created with BrewSmith software and maybe this step was thrown in by the app, but I'm confused about this step.
To summarize the step directions: 6.2 gallons sparge volume at 148 F for 75 minutes. (The next step is to transfer the must to the primary fermenter and cool to 80 F and pitch the yeast starter.)

First, what's the purpose of this sparging:confused:? I think I understand the basics of sparging with an all-grain beer, but what good is sparging for a mead in which the only sugar source is honey? Is it just to make sure that all the honey is dissolved in the water. The sugars have already been broken down to simple monosaccharides by the bees, but is there further breakdown needed?

Second, the total "boil" volume is 6.25 gallons (5 gallons of water and 1.25 gallons (12.8 lbs) of honey. Then a subsequent step (after the mash) is to add water to the fermenter to total 5 gallons. What happened to the other 1.25 gallons, and why would one need to add more water? Is it to be used for topping off in a subsequent fermentation phase?

Thanks.

My only guess is that the sparging step is supposed to be some kind of dissolving to get it fluid and.. warm..? I've heard of boiling the honey for sterilization which is unnecessary, and dissolving in warm water for even mixing, but 75 minutes of it? Bit ridiculous.

The boil volume thing would be if you boil off more than 1.25 gallons. I guess. Boiling isn't really necessary and depending who you ask, harms the end product. I never have.

Now days, we advise against any heating of the honey. It drives off volatile aromatics that improve the mead.

Older recipes called for heating for sanitization of water or dissolving stubborn crystallized honey. If your honey is liquid, it is not necessary.

The more I read the recipe, the more I think that it was a step created by the software and just not removed by the creator. Or maybe he/she was just using it as a place mark for timing.
It wasn't actually a boil as the hold temp was 148 F.
I've read in several sources that another reason to boil the must in meads is to precipitate the proteins that can cause cloudiness with aging.
I probably won't boil my first batch (I've made a lot of beer but this will be my first attempt at wine). My remaining concern is that I can't use sulfur dioxide because I'm intolerant of sulfites. I'll just plan to be meticulous about sanitation.
Thanks for the input.

The more I read the recipe, the more I think that it was a step created by the software and just not removed by the creator. Or maybe he/she was just using it as a place mark for timing.
It wasn't actually a boil as the hold temp was 148 F.
I've read in several sources that another reason to boil the must in meads is to precipitate the proteins that can cause cloudiness with aging.
I probably won't boil my first batch (I've made a lot of beer but this will be my first attempt at wine). My remaining concern is that I can't use sulfur dioxide because I'm intolerant of sulfites. I'll just plan to be meticulous about sanitation.
Thanks for the input.

Remember that all fermented things have naturally occurring sulfites. If you are actually intolerant of sulfites to the point of illness, there is no such thing as a 100% sulfite mead or wine. If you are ok with low amounts, you can choose to not add additional sulfites of course, but I wanted to point out that if someone really is intolerant of sulfites, they can't drink mead or wine.

It's just brew smith adding it in. It's not made to make mead recipes but rather beer. It's very hard to manipulate it so it doesn't show sparge, mash or boil. I suspect this is why it says that. I have tried to use it for mead recipes and it was tough. Like Brewers friend better as you can leave the mash and boil steps out. Still not perfect but a little easier.

I've found a couple of recipes for dry artisanal meads that call for batch sparging at 148 F for 75 minutes. This recipe was created with BrewSmith software and maybe this step was thrown in by the app, but I'm confused about this step.
To summarize the step directions: 6.2 gallons sparge volume at 148 F for 75 minutes. (The next step is to transfer the must to the primary fermenter and cool to 80 F and pitch the yeast starter.)

First, what's the purpose of this sparging:confused:? I think I understand the basics of sparging with an all-grain beer, but what good is sparging for a mead in which the only sugar source is honey

Thanks.
Sparging is not for mead. Here is one on many mead recipie calculators on line. http://gotmead.com/blog/the-mead-calculator.html

I agree, Sparging is a beer brewing term, not a mead brewing term. I would ignore that step and simply heat the honey and water to the point that it blends together nicely. Then cool down to 80 or less and pitch the yeast.

Back