Batch Sparge Mash Thickness.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of opinions on this. I have usually used a 1.25qts/pound in the mash, then sparge to get my desired pre-boil volume. I have also heard that you should collect half of your pre-boil volume from the mash then the second, equal amount from the batch sparge. Or, to mash in with half of your pre-boil volume. If that's the case do you add more water to the mash or the sparge to account for grain absorption. Clearly a 1.25qt/pound ratio will not always yield half the pre-boil volume with the first running's. So what *should* the mash ratio be when batch sparging?

The half and half will yield better efficiency in theory. Best to have two equal, or close runnings in volume. At the end of the day it is not that critical.

You can also add a gallon or so boiling water after the mash to raise the temp and do a mashout.

With one sparge, to get equal runnings your initial strike water would be half preboil volume plus grain absorption...or ballpark 60% of your total brewing water.

I believe the 1.25 qt/lb relates to a nice mash ratio for fly sparging and that reference kinda carried over through the years...

Typically when I batch sparge, I just ballpark the initial strike water, and then measure my first runnings, the amount needed to reach preboil volume is the sparge volume....very simple!

You don't need to make it complicated.

You should mash at whatever volume is required to achieve your desired qt/lb ratio. Rinsing theory says that if you sparge at equal volumes you will get more of the sugars etc... out of the tun and into the BK, hence increasing efficiency. In theory if you did a double batch sparge (three equal volume run-offs) your efficiency would go up vs a single batch sparge (two equal runoffs). Braukaiser has an article on the subject on his website that explains it better than I ever could. There is a point of diminishing returns.

By the end if your mash the grains have absorbed all they can. After that water that goes in will come out.

Www.braukaiser.com

So for example: 10 pound grain bill, 6 gallons pre boil volume. Mash in with 3 gallons, after conversin, if I know that I loose 1 gallon per 10 pounds, add 1 gallon at near boiling for a mash out to collect 3 gallons, half the pre boil volume. Then sparge with 3 gallons. Would this be good?

You got it. There is some debate about how hot the water should be, just don't let the tun get over 170 and you'll be okay. If you're not using brewing software, most will do the math for you, which makes life easier. I'd really recommend the braukaiser article. It explains why you do it, which always vexed me as I hadn't seen a good explanation until then.

Yes, that sounds reasonable.
On such small volume a gallon of boiling could take you above 170, so watch that aspect as well.
Or simply mash with 4, and sparge with 3.
Rather than being fixed to numbers, I prefer to sparge to a volume.

I've done a LOT of experimenting with this and arrived at the following method....I mash at a ratio that will give me about half my total boil volume from the mash runoff. Doesn't have to be exact, just somewhere in the ballpark. I just got tired of having to add extra water before the mash runoff and wanted to save the effort. That usually ends up around 1.65-1.75 qt./lb. Then I do one batch sparge with enough water to get to my total boil volume. Half and half is fine, but as long as the run offs are qithin a gal. or so of each other it won't haveq a negative impact on your efficiency. I average 83% with this method. Don't overthink it....it's easy. See www.dennybrew.com for more details.

You got it. There is some debate about how hot the water should be, just don't let the tun get over 170 and you'll be okay. If you're not using brewing software, most will do the math for you, which makes life easier. I'd really recommend the braukaiser article. It explains why you do it, which always vexed me as I hadn't seen a good explanation until then.

Going over 170 doesn't matter if your pH is okay. If it was bad, no one could do decoction mashes.

I've done a LOT of experimenting with this and arrived at the following method....I mash at a ratio that will give me about half my total boil volume from the mash runoff. Doesn't have to be exact, just somewhere in the ballpark. I just got tired of having to add extra water before the mash runoff and wanted to save the effort. That usually ends up around 1.65-1.75 qt./lb. Then I do one batch sparge with enough water to get to my total boil volume. Half and half is fine, but as long as the run offs are qithin a gal. or so of each other it won't haveq a negative impact on your efficiency. I average 83% with this method. Don't overthink it....it's easy. See www.dennybrew.com for more details.

That sounds great! Won't a mash being that thin create a wort that will ferment out dryer?

That sounds great! Won't a mash being that thin create a wort that will ferment out dryer?

Nope, not at all. Despite the theroreticals you've read about, the reality is that mash thickness makes so little difference you can basically discount it. You have to go REALLY thin or thick for it to have any noticeable effect.

Thanks Denny! Now if only it would stop raining every day...

Send some this way! We're nearly 2 feet under normal rainfall for this year!

I'd send it all to you if I could. Last month we got about 3 and a half weeks of rain, with 2 days of sunshine!

Latest posts

Back