Batch Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMP126

Lotsa Dude's Thumbs On Here...
Reaction score
Hey guys,

need some input on my situation.

So, I started an IPA, 1st all grain BIAB. Did all the math, hit all my numbers (OG and such), and started fermenting the wort.

After 3.5 weeks, my gravity is stuck at 1.040 and it will not budge. Been at 1.040 for about 1.5 weeks. I raised the fermentation temp. I swirled my carboy. I then racked it out of the first fermentor, and into a 2nd. I then pitched a packet of EC-1118 to get it going again. Temp is 70F. 3 days later, still nothing.

Original yeast was S-04

And yes, I have checked my hydrometer. Multiple times

My questions:

1. In my recipe, I added 0.25 lb of maltodextrin (113g). I did this, and probably should have read up on Malto a bit more first. Could this attribute to the high gravity? It is a 3 gallon batch.

2. I had a thermometer issue right when I started my mash (electric thermometer, right into the mash, doesnt like that much). I got the thermometer working again, and i had a high mash temperature. I was going for 150, and it turned out to be 155-156. Could this attribute to the high gravity.

So, i am not sure what to do? Should I pitch the batch? Should I fear bottle bombs if I decide to bottle at 1.040? Should I just prime and bottle and see what happens.

Thanks in advance.

Do not bottle at 1.040, besides the risk of bottle bombs, it's just going to taste terrible. Any further info in regards to the yeast would be helpful. What was the packaging date, how was it stored, etc. I'd pitch more yeast.

I used the yeast after a week of receiving it. I have no idea as to the date on the package. It is long gone. Stored it in the fridge the whole time. Just dry yeast, no starter or anything.

I did pitch more yeast later. A whole packet of EC-1118 (which is a beast yeast). Didnt really matter much. Checked it after 5 days, and the gravity hasn't moved.

What was the OG? Cuz something isnt right here. What was your grist? Maltodextrin is VERY unfermentable so could be contributing to the cause, but without knowing your grist its hard to say.

OG was 1.068

Grist:
5lb 2 Row
2lb Red Wheat
0.25lb Aromatic
0.25lb Maltodextrin
0.25lb Dextrose

Your thermometer might need to be recalibrated, especially since you said you had a thermometer issue at the beginning but then it started working again. If the thermometer wasn't calibrated correctly, a 155-156 mash temperature reading could be closer to 160 or higher. Not saying that is the cause but something I would definitely take care of before any future brews.

Thanks Kaisetti.

Yes, I have purchased a thermometer with a probe on a cord, and your typical old school mechanical one. Lesson learned :)

In addition to the advice above, make sure you're not using a refractometer for your reading as that is inaccurate once alcohol is in the mix.

Make sure you are using a calibrated hydrometer for the reading. I know you checked, but I wanted to point that out for anybody who may have the same issue, but isn't asking the question.

Thanks for the help guys. But what should I do with this batch? Dump? Bottle?

Back