Basement brewhouse build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I've been brewing in an unfinished section of our basement since we bought our house about 3 years ago. There was no running water or sink/drainage nearby. I used to run a hose from a bibb near where the water comes in, and wash stuff in a slop sink that drained into a 5gal bucket, which I'd dump as it filled up (anywhere between 6-15 times a brew day, depending on brew size and how messy I was).

Finally I got the green light from my loving wife to install a sink. We've been wanting to redo the floor for a while as well, as it was a mix of broken, mismatched linoleum tile, stained concrete and patches. So, we emptied the room and got started.

The floor was in such bad shape, we would have had to do some sort of re-topping to finish with a standard flooring, which I didn't want to deal with. We found this roll-out rubber mat flooring that looked like it would work. It comes in 7x15' sheets and tapes together at the seams. It's not as neat and tidy as a true finished floor, but we got it down in about 2 hrs and the price was right.

Finished floor

The wall here is finished with FRP. We did this section first so we could get the sink installed, but the rest is waiting on some other house projects. The stairs coming down near the laundry are coming out and that will be a closet door for a closet that will be built behind that wall.

Moving in the brewing equipment - I added some shelves and made a pretty concerted effort to keep things organized.

The room behind the left hand door will eventually be the aquarium room - the room that is there will be split into the aforementioned closet, and the fish room for all the equipment and in-wall tank that will be the backdrop for the bar that's going on the other side of the basement, through the right-hand door.

The new brew sink...so nice to have running water! Its big enough to clean kegs in, and there's a sump pump under it that pumps the greywater up into the main sewer pipe. No more carrying buckets!

First time brewing since August...didn't go as well as I'd hoped but still nice to get some beer going!

Sweet setup with the sink and flooring!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that flooring?

I would put a hood and a strong vent fan over you tower, carbon monoxide is nothing to screw around with.

I love the space though, that sink is really sweet.

Sweet setup with the sink and flooring!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that flooring?

Online through home depot. They have a few different types and colors.

Do you use gas in your basement with no ventelation besides that wondow?

I hadn't put it up at the time of the picture, but I use a window fan in that window as an exhaust. I also keep a CO alarm about 10' from the brew tree. It's never gone off while brewing.

That is the first stuff we were considering, but we were going to have to use more of it to make the channels line up across the whole floor (can't cut pieces to size and turn them 90 degrees. Well you can, but the mismatching pattern would really bug me).

We ended up going with this one to get more flexibility with cutting peices to fit in order to reduce waste.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-...oring-HX45DT714MB/205442047?keyword=205442047

And used this tape on the bottom of the seams

http://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor-...pe-Roll-GFTP30BLK/203451272?keyword=203451272

Latest posts

Back