Barons kit panic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed 2 Barons kits with terrible results my HBS offered to give me another one to try free of charge so I did.

I brewed the kit last Thursday evening - Friday afternoon we had bubbles in the airlock which continued to about Sunday evening. Since then not only have the bubbles stopped but the water level in the airlock is flat (indicating to me there is no gas pushing out).

Also the top of the fermentor usually i hard from the gas pushing out on it - this time it is a little soft. Im worried about stalled fermentation or possible just a little bit of a leak breaking the seal.

Do you guys think my beer could be in harm. I mean when i push on the lid some gas pushes through the airlock. Im not sure if i should bottle early (its only been brewing a week) or wait my normal 2 weeks? Any thoughts appreciated

That you get airlock activity when you squeeze it means the fermenter is sealed properly, which is good - should rule out a leak somewhere.

Primary fermentation can be pretty quick depending on yeast and temperature. Take a gravity measure and compare to where you're expecting to finish in terms of gravity.

If the gravity is too high, pitch some more yeast and wait. If it's where you would expect, just leave it so the yeast can clean up other stuff. I wouldn't bottle it yet.

Ok so I was shooting for an FG of 1017 - reading after a week was 1029 -- I pitched another packet of yeast on the wert.....

Is there any harm in pitching the extra yeast?

I don't think it'll do any harm but...
what was your og?
what temp is this fermenting at?
& what did you use to check gravity, hydrometer or refractometer?
oh & what yeast?

Back