Barleywine tastes like cough syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I have a barleywine that I brewed nine months ago. I finally took it off the oak cubes after 6 months. It tastes like cough syrup. It's also like 15% abv.

Anything i could do to improve this taste? Let it wait out longer?

My last barleywine hit its prime after about three years in the bottle. Bottle and crack one open every couple months until it's where you like it.

I currently have it in a keg. It is undrinkable the way it is now.

Bottle and let it age, it may take another year to come into it's own as they say. I made a Strong Scottish Ale years ago that at 1 year it was pretty good, and at 2 years it was really good, but I only have one or two bottles left, and I don't know when I will open them up.

Did you taste it earlier on? How was it then?
Aging a flawed beer probably won't improve it, but a lot of high ABV beers do much better with age. Also, the oak will fade, which may help it.

Six months on oak is a long time. I bet youre tasting some tannins. Let it age another six months before you try another one. Brew something else ASAP to take your mind off this batch, look at this one as a long term project

6 months is a long time for oak cubes. Let it age. 2 ounces at 2 months turned out to be a bit much in an imperial stout I brewed. The oak faded quite a bit after it was off the oak 6 months. Let it sit. Patience is your friend with mega brews.

I did a barleywine last November, it is setting in a keg now. I am planning on putting it on tape for a Christmas party in December. I have not sampled it yet, just letting it set and mature, hoping it will be delicious at Christmas. If not I'll pull it of and let it set longer.

I took a taste from the tap and it has improved a lot. The strong oak flavor is starting to fade and the sweet malty flavors of this English barleywine is starting to come through. That strange cough syrup taste has faded out a lot. I'll try it again in a few months.

The booze and other flavors will chemically change over time. That's a pretty big barleywine, and it will take a long longer then a smaller version would, especially with that much oak character. I bet in another year you will love it.

Sucks to be without a keg that long. I generally bottle all of my bigger beers so they can sit on the shelf and I can grab one whenever I want, or give them away. They are drank warmer than most kegged beers too.

The booze and other flavors will chemically change over time. That's a pretty big barleywine, and it will take a long longer then a smaller version would, especially with that much oak character. I bet in another year you will love it.

Sucks to be without a keg that long. I generally bottle all of my bigger beers so they can sit on the shelf and I can grab one whenever I want, or give them away. They are drank warmer than most kegged beers too.

I have a bunch of kegs so I don't mind dedicating one for aging. I just have to be patient and let it age. Now that I know it tastes better, I'm eager to keep trying it.

Latest posts

Back