Barleywine. Should I partial mash or just steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a Barleywine this weekend. I have all my ingredients ready but I'm wondering if I should pm the specialty grains with some 2 row or just steep them and add lme from there?
3 gallon batch size
I have:
.5lb honey malt
.5 lb C10*
.25 special b
Wpl090 san Diego super yeast

2 3.3lb pilsen light lme containers.

I'm lookin at about 1.090 OG
And 17 Srm
Grain bill is based off Widmer Bros drop top, minus the lactose sugar.

I haven't done an extract batch before, aside from Mr beer. I want to try and cut down on how long it takes to brew and also cut out the mash efficiency issues from what would be a pretty massive grain bill if I did all grain like I usually do.

I think that we get more out of our specialty grains when we mash them.

Interesting point, though - there is at least one good clone-brewing book that gives a DME-supplement option for all-grain recipes for big beers.

That being said, what matters more in a barleywine, I think, is the boil time. Longer boil, more flavor development, more complexity, regardless of brewing method.

I think that we get more out of our specialty grains when we mash them.

Interesting point, though - there is at least one good clone-brewing book that gives a DME-supplement option for all-grain recipes for big beers.

That being said, what matters more in a barleywine, I think, is the boil time. Longer boil, more flavor development, more complexity, regardless of brewing method.

The nice thing about this recipe is there will be a bittering addition and a knockout steep addition so I won't have to hover over it like an Ipa with lots of additions. I can just keep my eye on it for 90 minutes .

Latest posts

Back