Barley Grinder Crusher Malt from Amazon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t waste your money apparently you get what you pay for. Mine broke after using 4 times with .035 crush.

IMG_2012.jpg

I have used mine for many hundreds of pounds of grain, already paid for itself with bulk grain saving.

If you only got 4 used out of it, I would contact the vendor and ask for a refund or replacement.

Did you get a stone stuck between the rollers? I had that happen to me before but it did not break the drive shaft.

What are you driving it with?

Using a Dewalt 20v cordless drill at moderate speed. Luckily it broke with only a 1lb of grain left in the bin and I was still able to brew.

Not really surprised the shaft broke in half. I have been having problems with the set screws holding the mill gap at desired crush. Had it come loose on the second batch because the set screws didn’t hold. Almost felt like I could have stripped them out as the cheap eye bolts started to bend a little.

Maybe I could understand it breaking if I was crushing at .020-.030 but my gap is moderate. Credit card with plenty of room for play.

Last edited:
About 2 years with mine and use a tight gap - zero issues. I’ve probably gone through ~200 pounds of grain so far using a drill.

Edit to add: the wood looks pretty beat up. Did you buy this used or something?

I thought they all came with a base? Mine did. I've never had any issues with it.

I use a 18V battery cordless drill, the time I got a rock I think my drill stalled or spun on the driveshaft. Never really had to really crank the chuck too tight.

You should not need to crank the eyebolts down. Loosen them up to set the gap then snug the eyebolts up finger tight. Hold in place and use the nut to lock in place. If you need to do more than that it seem like that mill just has issues. I have 4 year on my cereal killer.

I do condition my grain with some water which soften the grain a bit which keeps the hulls pretty much intact and get less flour with a .032 gap.

Bought mine from AIH to replace my barley crusher, very happy so far but I'm only about 12 batches in. AIH states a 1 year warranty, where did you get it? Not them I assume if it came with no base. I agree something sounds fishy.

No base seems squirrelly to me. Mine came with a nice base. How long have you had it and where did you get it (eg store or private sale)?

I just ordered one from Austin Home Brew. $89.00 shipped. I don't call that getting what you paid for. $89.00 isn't cheap in my book. I'm upgrading from a Corona Mill.....

That doesn't look like my Cereal Killer. Where did you buy from? I have mine on the tightest setting, and have crushed hundreds of pounds of grain, no issues.

Milled some grain today with my drill set to the highest screwdriver torque and was still able to mill just find. Using the screwdriver mode if your drill has it might provide some insurance.

Sorry guys I am a *******! I ordered a Cereal Killer from Austin Homebrew but they were on back order for over a month so I cancelled and ordered this Barley Crusher off Amazon! I changed the thread title. Sorry for the confusion.

IMG_2046.jpg

I think you are beyond the normal return period but I would try anyway there is no way that drive shaft should break like that.

I got my cereal killer from adventures in homebrewing, in case you decide to get one and Austin homebrew is out again.

Good luck

Well, not wanting to kick a man when he is down (and unable to mill), but that is not the Barley Crusher.

This is the Barley Crusher

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTN2Y88/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is something called a Barley Grinder Crusher Malt Grain Mill

https://www.amazon.com/Barley-Mill/...78011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Barley+Mill

In the tale of the tape, the above one has 2.2 lb weight advantage (might be wood), hailing from the USA (note - I am not American, no prejudgement here). The second one does not make it clear where it is from, but given how easy it is find on AliExpress, and the fact that it costs US$45 to ship it to the US, probably not Wisconsin.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW...7726-4759-9af0-0f236eec5bbd&priceBeautifyAB=0

FWIW, I have the real Barley Crusher, and am very happy with it, never had any problems whatsoever. No experience with the Cereal Killer, but heard generally good things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys I am a *******! I ordered a Cereal Killer from Austin Homebrew but they were on back order for over a month so I cancelled and ordered this Barley Crusher off Amazon! I changed the thread title. Sorry for the confusion.

View attachment 578650
That's not a Barley Crusher. It is a ECO-WORTHY Barley Crusher Malt Grain Mill 2-Roller Home Brewing Grain Cereal Crusher

That's not a Barly Crusher. It is a ECO-WORTHY Barley Crusher Malt Grain Mill 2-Roller Home Brewing Grain Cereal Crusher

Or about ten other brand names. Looks like around $50 direct, if you are buying just one. If you buy 100, you can call them the Cereal Barley Crusher Killer and get lots of hits.

You might want to change your thread title again. The "Barley Crusher" is a specific brand, this just happens to be a crusher that will service barley.

Replace that shaft yourself. Disassemble it and bring the shaft parts to an ace hardware and ask for help. They need the business and will help you as best they can. Or, buy a cereal killer and be done with it. I have close to 300 pounds through mine on the tightest setting and so far not so much as a hiccup. I power it with a Bosch 18V drill driver in low gear with the torque limiter set two clicks down from max. If I do get a pebble the clutch will slip, saving my prescious mill and my favorite wrist (the right) whom I refer to lovingly as charlene. A man does have priorities, afterall.

Back