Barberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaconga

Reaction score
So I came across a 1976 wine recipe book and in the additional fruits section they listed barberry. I have a barberry bush in my front yard and I never knew the berries were edible at all. So now I have a desire to create a barberry wine, however I don't know what to expect it to taste like. Has anyone made one and what did it taste like?

Check out jack Keller's web site. I just googled "jack keller barberry" and a recipe page for that wine popped up. He says the berries are high in acid and are flavorful. So PH adjustment & acid percentage may be needed but these were the only things I read as flavor indicators.

I just tasted a barberry from my bush. I can't imagine anything delicious coming from it. Perhaps I have the wrong kind of barberry, but I am going to scrap the idea for now.

Check out jack Keller's web site. I just googled "jack keller barberry" and a recipe page for that wine popped up. He says the berries are high in acid and are flavorful. So PH adjustment & acid percentage may be needed but these were the only things I read as flavor indicators.
Hello,

planning on using the barberries currently abundant in my garden but cannot open the Jack Keller recipe idea nor find it on his published wine recipe list. Can anyone advise? Possibly as I am Scotland/UK based ?

Back