Barb fitting sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnorman57

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is any standard for hose barb sizes. I am trying to connect 1/2" tubing to 3/8" tubing, and I found a "1/2 to 3/8" barb adapter, but the 3/8 tubing fits tight, which is good, but the 1/2 tubing is very loose. I checked the OD of both sides of the adapter and the 1/2" side measures 0.470" and the 3/8 side measures 0.352". Are the barbs supposed to be that much smaller than the nominal size?

Have you tried a worm clamp on it? I bet itll work fine.

Tube is sized by OD and thickness. Sounds like your 3/8 in tube is really 3/8 OD but your 1/2 in tube is really 3/4 in with 1/8 in wall and 1/2 in ID.

So most of the brewers using 1/2 silicone tubing are using 1/2 od tubing? I guess I have been thinking the 3/4 od called 1/2 inch was the typical tubing being used. Thanks for the clarification

So most of the brewers using 1/2 silicone tubing are using 1/2 od tubing? I guess I have been thinking the 3/4 od called 1/2 inch was the typical tubing being used. Thanks for the clarification
my understanding was the same as yours here... My tubing is 3/4" OD and 1/2" inside...
I bought the 1/2" OD stuff by accident first... trust me you dont want to use that stuff.. the thick walled stuff is what everyone uses.

So is the 1/2 inch Id tubing supposed to fit very loosely over the 1/2 inch barb? Or did I just get some undersized barbs?

mine slipped on fairly easily but I only needed to use a hoseclamp on one... if I used them under more pressure than the 24v dc pumps I use provide they might have leaked but as it stands they dont. I bought a lot of different stainless camlock fitting from bargain fitting, duda diesel and dailydeals on ebay and the barb size does vary for them even thought they are all advertised as 1/2" so..

Finding out the same thing , the Barbie hair that is very loose is actually from daily deals but I have another one on my Brew Kettle that fits very tight which I got from learn to brew on Amazon , I guess I will stick with the learn to brew Barbs since they fit the 1/2 inch tubing so well

Back