Banquet Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6midgets

Big & Tall Brewing
Reaction score
First off let me say I only support craft beer and micro breweries. Death to the big 3. However I really enjoy Coors Original "Banquet" Beer. I was wondering if ya'll had any info on a clone recipe for this beer. I would like to use it as a base recipe. I think it would make a really good IPL or maybe even a DIPL. Banquet beer is the only thing I miss from old sinful ways. :hops:

I'm not sure what you're asking for because your post is kinda contradictory, but maybe start with the Cream of Three Crops recipe, and ferment it cool using W34/70 lager yeast and clear it with some gelatin before bottling. "Cold crashing" is probably not necessary because there shouldn't be any chill haze with all the corn and rice.

Schell's has a beer called American Pale Lager you might like. I got it in a sampler 12-pack and was disappointed when I saw the name, but it's really good. And very hoppy. The closest thing I can compare it to is Pilsner Urquell made with Cascade hops, and that's probably not a fair thing to say about either beer.

I'm not sure what you're asking for because your post is kinda contradictory

Yeah contradiction was kinda the point sorry I've got a bad sense of humor. Guess I should've put a LOL in there. I didn't see the Cream of the Crop recipe. Is that in the Lager section? What I was asking was how do I make Coors Banquet at home? Then I'll take that recipe and throw some Mosaic hops in it and have me a Mosaic Banquet beer.

Your standard American Lager recipe is going to be about 85% pale 2-row/pilsner malt 15% corn or rice to a gravity of 1.046/50. Then bitter (60 min addition) to about 20/25 IBU with Magnum or something noble. Ferment with cold 50/52F with an American or German Lager Yeast, I'm partial to the Augustiner yeast (Omega Bayern, Wyeast 2352, WLP860). Using two row and corn (I cereal mash polenta), this recipe should get you pretty close to Coors banquet.

I generally do about 85% 2 row, 12% polenta, and 3% carahell. I find a light (10L) caramel malt adds just that touch of gold color, definitely keep cara malts to a low amount though (no more than 3 or 4%). You can also add about 1/4oz of hops at 20 and 5 if you want some flavor (I like Cascade or Mittelfruh), but it won't be exactly the same as Coors.

Another important thing to note, water chemistry is extremely important on this beer. If you're unfamiliar with what to shoot for on this beer, see the thread by Yooper called "A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer."

I brewed a cream ale a few months ago that I'm proud how it turned out (it really surprised me.) 77.4% pilsner malt, 19.4% rice, 3.2% acid malt, and 27-ish IBUs of Sorachi Ace hops. I fermented 3 weeks with K-97 German ale yeast, and fined it with gelatin a few days before bottling. It's very Budweiser-y, but with flavor. :)

Next time I brew a cream ale (probably next week) I'll use cornmeal instead of rice, add just a little Munich malt, and use Sterling hops.

Back