Bane of Heimdall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Critique needed for this NEIPA. It has a grain bill that I would consider appropriate for a saison but should work well in a NEIPA. The yeast (A43 Loki) does wonderful things when fermented in the 85°F range.

let me know what you think and please provide frank and honest commentary.
ipa.PNG

Critique needed for this NEIPA. It has a grain bill that I would consider appropriate for a saison but should work well in a NEIPA. The yeast (A43 Loki) does wonderful things when fermented in the 85°F range.

let me know what you think and please provide frank and honest commentary. View attachment 629210
Ok here’s my input and I brew these once a month so I’m coming through with experience. Get rid of the rye and switch it for flaked barley, flaked wheat or chit malt, your call for preference. Rye is going to give you a spicyness that will that away from the juiciness of the style.

Next split your 2 minute addition between your whirlpool and dryhop. You want to hold on to all the beautiful oils and compounds as possible and a 2 minute addition will boil off some and only add like 5 ibus per ounce so it’s slightly a waste for a NEIPA. And under pitch Loki a bit so it with produce more esters for you. Other than that I’d say your good.

If you did want some malt flavor in there you could use .5 of biscuit or caramunich, but just pay close attention for the SRM. You’re using Pilsner and promise so I’m guessing you’re going for a lighter, more yellow hue.

Keep the possibility of oxygen contact as low as your equipment allows and good luck

Ok here’s my input and I brew these once a month so I’m coming through with experience. Get rid of the rye and switch it for flaked barley, flaked wheat or chit malt, your call for preference. Rye is going to give you a spicyness that will that away from the juiciness of the style.

Next split your 2 minute addition between your whirlpool and dryhop. You want to hold on to all the beautiful oils and compounds as possible and a 2 minute addition will boil off some and only add like 5 ibus per ounce so it’s slightly a waste for a NEIPA. And under pitch Loki a bit so it with produce more esters for you. Other than that I’d say your good.

If you did want some malt flavor in there you could use .5 of biscuit or caramunich, but just pay close attention for the SRM. You’re using Pilsner and promise so I’m guessing you’re going for a lighter, more yellow hue.

Keep the possibility of oxygen contact as low as your equipment allows and good luck

*edit* also mash higher 154ish. You want a fuller body for the style and slight sweetness

Rye - gone. Will bump up red wheat and add oats. 2 min - gone. Split hops in WP

Last edited:
*edit* also mash higher 154ish. You want a fuller body for the style and slight sweetness

I am thinking that the carahell is quite sweet - so I did bump fermentation temps a bit - but stopped a little short of 154

Other suggestions plugged in.....

Bane of Heimdall.PNG

I am thinking that the carahell is quite sweet - so I did bump fermentation temps a bit - but stopped a little short of 154

Other suggestions plugged in.....

View attachment 629490
Carahell will provide you with more unfermentable sugar since it’s a crystal/caramel grain. The mash temp is more about the addition body you’ll gain from your basemalts at higher temps. 152 is fine and you may really enjoy it. Everyone has a dif preference on the mouthfeel and body they enjoy. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back