baltic porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipefighter

Reaction score
Hey kinda new to homebrew 6-8 months we made a baltic porter from a big online company and its aged for 3months and we find it undrinkable it tastes like alcohol everybody who tries it says the same thing .is this normal? Having never tried a porter before the description sounded delicious , should I give up on it and dump it , or keep letting it age?

It sounds like you fermented too hot. Baltic Porter usually uses a lager yeast with a cold fermentation. What temp did you ferment at?

Aging it more could help a little with that hot alcohol flavor, but it won't ever completely go away. I'd let it sit at least another 3-4 months though and see what you think after that.

I made a 9.25%abv Baltic Porter. Beer that dark and big needs time to age and mellow. Mine was all gone by the 11 month mark and unfortunately that is when it was really starting to get good. Hide the rest away for as long as you can and the beer should come around.

I have made a Baltic Porter twice now. The first time I brewed it I did not hit my gravity and the ABV was lower than expected, but I used a lager yeast but fermented at a low ale temp. It turned out great. I just re-brewed it with a british ale yeast and hit my gravities(9.2 ABV); just bottled it last week. I had a sample and it tasted great. A slight alcohol flavor but more bitter choclate than anything.

Back