Balsamic Vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody attempt to make Traditional Balsamic Vinegar? I know it can take up to 10-15 years to do it right. This might be a very tall task, but I'm thinking on trying.

There's a couple videos on youtube, but not very many. One guy makes some in CA. He has a few batches fermenting, some for a decade or more. If you get the proper grapes, the process doesn't look very hard. It's the waiting which seems challenging.

There's a couple videos on youtube, but not very many. One guy makes some in CA. He has a few batches fermenting, some for a decade or more. If you get the proper grapes, the process doesn't look very hard. It's the waiting which seems challenging.

Yes, and I'm joking (sort of) when I say that I probably don't have enough time to make something like this. :D

I would guess (and it's only a guess) that even if it comes out not as good as intended, I can't see how it could actually be bad.

I've made malt vinegar and cider vinegar, with good results. The wine vinegar, no. It had a bad "feet" smell to it. That's the only way I can think of that would make it unsuccessful- some bacterial contamination that has a flavor impact. I don't know how successful other bacteria are vs acetobacter though.

Latest posts

Back