Ballast points sculpin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I'd say cascade is your next best bet for what you have. Or order the Amarillo online with a kit or something. Austinhomebrew.com has it for 2.50 an oz. Rebelbrewer.com has it for 2.75 on oz and has 2.99 super saver shipping for very small orders.

Thanks. I'm going to scrap this attempt at a clone. I'm just going to wing it with hops. I have the malts dead on. Playing with beersmith trying to get around 75ibus with a lot of hop bursting at the end and about 4oz dry hops. Should be very complex.

So here will be my attempt at a partial-mash version of this recipe tomorrow (with slight modifications based on available ingredients: )

5 lbs Pilsen DME 2L
2 lbs American 2-Row 1L
1.25 lbs Carahell 9L
1 lb Cara-pils 8L
0.5 lbs CaraVienne 24L

1.0 oz. Cascade AA 7.7% leaf mash
0.5 oz. Warrior AA 16% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Columbus AA 15.2% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Magnum AA 13.5% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Willamette AA 4.9% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Simcoe AA 12.7% pellet boil 30 mins
0.25 oz. Citra AA 11.5% pellet boil 30 mins
0.25 oz. Crystal AA 4.1% pellet boil 30 mins
1.0 oz. Cascade AA 7.7% leaf boil 0 mins
2.0 oz. Cascade AA 7.7% leaf dry-hop 7 days
1.0 oz. Simcoe AA 12.7% pellet dry-hop 7 days

1 Whirfloc tablet boil 5 mins

Wyeast 1056

Brewtoad estimates that my OG will be 1064 and FG will be 1016 with 79 IBU and 6.3% ABV (at 60% efficiency. My efficiency will probably be a little higher, but I'd rather low-ball.) I'll probably mash at 148 for an hour, based on other opinions in this thread.

How long has everyone been waiting to bottle this? Until after they reached their gravity than couple weeks to dry hop? or....?

So is there a consensus all grain grist that people are using? The first recipe (extract) uses corn sugar but none of the subsequent all grain versions do.

So is there a consensus all grain grist that people are using? The first recipe (extract) uses corn sugar but none of the subsequent all grain versions do.

I used the second version and hit the recipe dead on in a side by side test.

I just started drinking my latest batch of this recipe. I made a couple minor modifications in the hops and added 2 oz of roasted barley for Color and a tiny roast flavor. Very nice!

I just bottled an imperial version of sculpin. I sampled it and it was really good. Didn't attenuate as well as I hoped and only came out to 8%.

Mine came out pretty good. A little more malty than the real Sculpin. Not as citrusy (no grapefruit). Meh.

I've brewed this twice already using BeantownRs recipe. First time was straight up and the second I added grapefruit zest. Both turn out excellent. Can't decide which one I like best. I just stepped up and bought equipment to do 10 gallons, so I will split it in 2 and give myself the best of both worlds.

Cheers

Huh...you are right. My numbers are not even close. I'll have to figure out why. Maybe using different IBU scales. Sorry I could not help.

So here will be my attempt at a partial-mash version of this recipe tomorrow (with slight modifications based on available ingredients: )

5 lbs Pilsen DME 2L
2 lbs American 2-Row 1L
1.25 lbs Carahell 9L
1 lb Cara-pils 8L
0.5 lbs CaraVienne 24L

1.0 oz. Cascade AA 7.7% leaf mash
0.5 oz. Warrior AA 16% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Columbus AA 15.2% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Magnum AA 13.5% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Willamette AA 4.9% pellet boil 60 mins
0.25 oz. Simcoe AA 12.7% pellet boil 30 mins
0.25 oz. Citra AA 11.5% pellet boil 30 mins
0.25 oz. Crystal AA 4.1% pellet boil 30 mins
1.0 oz. Cascade AA 7.7% leaf boil 0 mins
2.0 oz. Cascade AA 7.7% leaf dry-hop 7 days
1.0 oz. Simcoe AA 12.7% pellet dry-hop 7 days

1 Whirfloc tablet boil 5 mins

Wyeast 1056

Brewtoad estimates that my OG will be 1064 and FG will be 1016 with 79 IBU and 6.3% ABV (at 60% efficiency. My efficiency will probably be a little higher, but I'd rather low-ball.) I'll probably mash at 148 for an hour, based on other opinions in this thread.

BrettV I know you brewed this in 2010 so it's been awhile but do you remember how your partial mash went? Was it close to the real Sculpin? I'm looking to do this clone and want to do a partial mash. Just seeing if you have any advice based on how your brew went. Did mashing at 148 for 60 minutes get your end gravity low enough for a 7% ABV? I'm shooting for a OG of 1.062 with an end gravity in the 1.008 range to get to 7% ABV.

Is everyone brewing the grain bill on page 2 or has anyone dialed the crystal malts back?

Here's what I was playing around with:

Code:
Amount	Fermentable	                        PPG	 °L	 Bill %
11.5 lb	American - Pale 2-Row	                37	 1.8	 85.2%
0.75 lb	American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)	33	 1.8	 5.6%
1.00 lb	American - Caramel / Crystal 10L	35	 10	 7.4%
0.25 lb	Belgian - CaraVienne	                34	 20	 1.9%
13.5 lb	Total

I just brewed this twice, the extract version and then the all grain version.
The extract was better, I think dialing the caramel malts back would fix the all grain.
I used 1lb 4oz crystal 10 and 8 oz of caravienne.

I would use the grain bill that you just posted, it would be an improvement on the one I brewed.

I just brewed this twice, the extract version and then the all grain version.
The extract was better, I think dialing the caramel malts back would fix the all grain.
I used 1lb 4oz crystal 10 and 8 oz of caravienne.

I would use the grain bill that you just posted, it would be an improvement on the one I brewed.

Which extract recipe did you use?

m3n00b said:
Which extract recipe did you use?

Polaris IPA
A.K.A
Sculpin IPA
Recipe
(Using Dried Malt Extract)

Extract:
6 lbs. Dried Light Malt Extract (DME)
1 lbs Corn Sugar
Hops:
.50 oz Warrior hop pellets added to boil (60 Minutes)
.50 oz Magnum hop pellets added to boil (60 Minutes)
.25 oz Northern Brewer hop pellets added to boil (60 Minutes)
.25 oz Columbus hop pellets added to boil (60 Minutes)
.50 oz Crystal hop pellets added to boil (30 Minutes)
.25 oz Centennial hop pellets added to boil (30 Minutes)
.25 oz Simcoe hop pellets added to boil (30 Minutes)

1.0 oz Amarillo hop pellets added to boil (0 Minutes)

2.0 oz Amarillo hop pellets (Dry Hop)
2.0 oz Simcoe hop pellets (Dry Hop)

Yeast:
White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001

Just in case you're wondering, yes that 1lb of dextrose goes in during the boil.

There are no steeping grains for the extract version, that was weird to me, but it came out amazing.

He couldn't find the all grain version so I went off of what I found on this forum. Which I feel had too much crystal now that I brewed and tried it.

There are no steeping grains for the extract version, that was weird to me, but it came out amazing.

He couldn't find the all grain version so I went off of what I found on this forum. Which I feel had too much crystal now that I brewed and tried it.

why do you say that - because of the flavor?

Yea it had more body, maltier, and the hops didn't come through as much, which was the biggest reason I didn't like it as much.
Definitely an easy fix though.

My preboil volume was 8 gallons and I ended up with 5.25
It was my first all grain and I boiled off too much because I hadn't figured out my new burner and keggle yet.

I couldn't tell you for the extract version, probably close to 7.5

I can't figure it out because they list an SRM of 10 and if you cut back the crystal you'll be nowhere near that

For the recipe in post #146, what times were the DME and corn sugar added during the boil? At the beginning or split up? I'm hoping to brew this in the next day or so and want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

For the recipe in post #146, what times were the DME and corn sugar added during the boil? At the beginning or split up? I'm hoping to brew this in the next day or so and want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

I've read here and there about timed additions of DME and whatnot...but I've never done it.

When I made the recipe, I put everything in pre-boil (my normal process) while the water was hot to dissolve it. Everyone that tried it liked it so take that FWIW. Good luck!

Also, I think this one is way better "fresh"....It's a theory based on my memory - the original tastes were amazing and then it turned into a fairly standard IPA with lots of bitter but not much aroma. Would like to know from your perspective if you think of it!

I always add the majority of extract at flameout and add sugar at high kreusen.
My extract IPAs are amazing. Better than almost anything you can buy except maybe enjoy by, heady or other limited ales.

I always add the majority of extract at flameout and add sugar at high kreusen.
My extract IPAs are amazing. Better than almost anything you can buy except maybe enjoy by, heady or other limited ales.

Are you just dumping in sugar during the fermentaion?

Whats the most extract you have added at flame out?

Made the extract version today. Ended up with an OG of about 1.050. Kinda weird. Was expecting a little higher. I did half the DME at 60 min, half at 30 min and the corn sugar at flameout.

I cooked it on my kitchen cooktop since I couldn't find my air shutter for the propane burner. I started with 5.5 gal and ended up with about 5 gal since I kept the lid on the pot most of the time. I guess time will tell if it will be any good.

With that low OG, I'm kind of worried there will be too much hoppiness.

Back