Balance values

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand them, I understand the general theory but I still don't know wat the values imply wats the difference between a balance value of 3 and a value of 1. Wat value is a balanced value and how can I use it to improve my beers?

interesting read. i've never seen that before, nor have i seen anyone use it here in discussion... so i'd say this hasn't quite caught on yet.

I'm struggling to understand them, I understand the general theory but I still don't know wat the values imply wats the difference between a balance value of 3 and a value of 1. Wat value is a balanced value and how can I use it to improve my beers?
your question boils down to "so what does this mean for me?", and my take away is that this knowledge isn't particularly relevant to brewing.

the article is correct that comparing BU:OG between styles isn't a good way of comparing them. but as far as i know, it was never meant for this either.

the key passage, for me, is "The BU:GU ratio works quite nicely for beers with similar apparent attenuation ratios. The Dubbel is highly attenuated, so its starting gravity belies its dryness relative to the Bock." so this formula is useful for comparing beers - is my bock as balanced as my dubbel. but how useful a question is that? saying that BU:OG isn't good for comparing different beers misses the point of that ratio: it's meant to give guidance within a style as to what your bittering ratio should be. in this case, the attenuation differences between various styles is irrelevant, because a recommended/typical BU:OG ratio is for a given style so the attenuation level is already baked in (i.e. all dubbels are assumed to have the same attenuation ratio, so within the style you can ignore this variable).

BU:OG is useful, to me, because I know what bitterness level to aim for depending on my OG. not sure what this new formula adds to my brew day...

i was hoping this would be the key to creating nicely balanced beers but i suppose its difficult to quantify a nicely balanced beer as everyone is different it may be useful for looking at the ratios of your favourite beers and trying to recreate them with your own hops and malt profiles

I also use BU:OG when thinking about new recipes. I didn't read the entire article you posted but it does look interesting--I don't think it is a magic bullet though :)

Some of my best luck with recipes has come from starting with a few commercial recipes for beers that I really like and going from there. This gives me a good idea of what kind of gravity to IBU ratios I like for a given style.

Latest posts

Back