Bad yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate00

Reaction score
So... I brewed a black saison four days ago. OG was 1.062. Same process as always, never had issues before, so sanitation shouldn't be the issue. Made a starter that seemed normal, had good activity and all. Pitched and it took off after a half day or so. I had a good bit of krausen blow through the blowoff the first night, then everything stopped. No more churning, the beer is falling clear like when it's done, no bubbling, and my gravity is 1.046, with no signs oft yeast activity. I usually get violent fermentation for a few days regardless of yeast strain, then it stops and falls clear. Also, the wort that I have now tastes like sweetened vomit. Did I get a funky batch of yeast? Should I pitch more if nothing else happens?

Saison yeast is notoriously lazy and difficult. You gotta make sure to keep the temp steady, and even attempt to gradually raise the temp throughout fermentation. Even still, many people find that they get mostly through fermentation and have to pitch something like Cal Ale to finish out.

First step would be to warm it up.

Did you use Wy3724 or 3711? 3711 seems to be much more easy going, while many people find 3724 to drop out early, and even with temps being increased, can still take a few more weeks to get to FG.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the taste of the beer quite yet.

I agree with kanzi - warm it up a bit and I'm sure it'll restart.

I used 3724 Belgian saison. Thanks for the feedback. Good to know its sluggish. Ill move it closer to the heater and see what happens.

Cheers

The recipe and an update:
5.5 gallon batch:

9 lb 2-row Pilsner Malt (i used german, because the last two times i used belgian i missed my numbers way low)
1.5 lb Dark Munich Malt 30L
1.5 lb Belgian Wheat Malt
1 lb Crystal 40L
7 oz Black Patent
4 oz pale chocolate (was going to use Chocolate malt, which is darker, but the store was out. too many people making christmas ales)

2 oz Styrian Goldings (3.8%) at 60 min.
1 oz Willamette (4.9%) at 15 min.

Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison to start, Finish with Wyeast 3711 French Saison

I mashed for an hour at 152. Boiled for 90 minutes instead of 60 because of the pilsner malt.

OG 1.062, 29 IBU

Update: I talked to the girl at the homebrew store who has brewed a few saisons. She said the belgian saison yeast usually does like y'all said and stop early. She has had really good results starting with the belgian saison until it slows down or stops, then she pitches the french saison, which finishes up. Says the blend gives a really good flavor, so that's what I'm gonna try.

I used 3724 Belgian saison. Thanks for the feedback. Good to know its sluggish. Ill move it closer to the heater and see what happens.

Cheers
yeah, 3724 is notorious for stalling out halfway through then taking weeks to finish up (and only if you raise the temps a lot, like into the 80's or 90's). a very standard thing to do is to let this yeast start off and give all its great flavors, then use a second yeast to finish up.

i used 3724 for 11gal of saison over the summer (key note) and it finished super dry and tasty. No stalling. Did the typical 3 week primary and she was good to go. of course i got the ferm temps up in the 80's for the last week and a half so it would keep dropping gravity. I think you should try to keep heating it up over the next week or so. My saison with 3724 was outstanding. Love the esters from this yeast.
good luck

Latest posts

Back