Bad time with gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idtapthat

Reaction score
Used gelatin as a fining but ended up with a very cloudy cider, seems to be alot of stuff floating in it, takes forever to settle and stirs up again with almost no agitation. Any help with why it did this would be great. i followed the basic procedure that everyone else says works fine, but wasnt happy with the results.
have racked 4 times and filtered and still cant get rid of it, its to bad cause it tastes good and would love to pass some out to friends.
but not lookin like this.

Serve it in solo cups? Having nice clear beverages is nice but if it tastes awesome, who cares? Another thing that works really good is lagering at near freezing temps for a couple of weeks.

===>edit
When you made your cider did you boil it? Doing this creates pectin and that leads to tons of pesky sediment that doesn't really go away. There's some kind of additive you can add to prevent this, can't think of it off the top of my head

Thanks
Ya I've been drinking it solo cup stye myself. I didn't boil it(but the batch i did looked great compared to this). Will have to try the lagering technique and see what happens.

thanks for the info

Dave

Gelatin is great for beer, but really needs the addition of bentonite to be effective in cider.
How much gel did you dose it with and how cold did you get it/wait time?

Thanks for the info totes
bentonite would make sense as its clay and would weight down the floaties and keep em down.
I added about a teaspoon of gelatin and it was at about 55 for a week. soon it wont matter as I'm goin through it pretty quick

Back