Bad smell in my mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
Well I used a recipe that was a no boil recipe. Swear I did everything right. I am getting a strange smell. Extremely strong kicks you in the face. The wife says rotten eggs. And to me is a very sour smell. Bubbling a lot but piped the airlock and no kausen inside 24 hours later.

Yeast is "sweat mead". I did use a starter but only had a yeasty smell. This doesn't smell like that. I am prolly going to make a second batch, But will boil and have to use some yeast my local brew store carries. Which isn't much. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like the rhino farts. Did you add nutrients to your must? If not, add some. If you are very far into your fermentation you can just wait it out. The smell will subside.

Ok did what you guys said.. I guess only time will tell now.. i like that term rhino farts.. cause it smelled that bad. here is a pic when I opened it up.. added more nutrients i possibly just didn't' add enough the first time. I am a little more reassured that their is no weird things going on there.. and it was fizzing like crazy..

thanks for the help. This is my first attempt into meads/wines. So I appreciate it all.. :tank:

Mead.JPG

Well smell has clear up a lot. Almost immediately after adding nutrients and the stirring. I will rack after four weeks, and let it sit until ready. Hopefully 6 months will be enough.

Back