Bad plant??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbt

Reaction score
This is the 3rd year for a cascade I planted. Base roots look healthy and are growing bigger every year but no cones at all as of yet. Anyone have this happen? I'm about to hit it with round up and start over.

It could be a bad plant, but its doubtful since all cascades should be clones off the original mother plant.

When are you fertilizing? If you fertilize after late June, there is a tendancy for the plant to take up the nitrogen and just grow, grow, grow instead of putting out cones.

It could be a bad plant, but its doubtful since all cascades should be clones off the original mother plant.

When are you fertilizing? If you fertilize after late June, there is a tendancy for the plant to take up the nitrogen and just grow, grow, grow instead of putting out cones.

Even then you should see cones...3 years has to be something wrong.

My first year cascade has probably a hundred cones if not more, its ridiculous in size compared to my other two.

Only fertilized once when it was about 1 1/2 ft high. Very disappointed. I'm going to let it try to redeem itself next year. But I will plant another next to it and see what happens.

Last year I took a crown over from a friend. The bines grew to about 6 feet, then I trained them on twine and they stopped growing. They lived but never grew past 6 feet and never produced cones. I never fed it and it was in a pot. This year i put it in the ground, fed it miracle gro tomato and occasionall side dressed some compost and its producing beautifully. My point? Maybe it can still work out next year.

Back