back to basics. base grain experiment(beginner lvl)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrawbag

Reaction score
so i decided to do a little experimenting at the weekend. tis fine to "borrow" another mans recipe but i would like to design a few myself so i decided to make 3 x 2 gallon batches of base malt only.
1 of larger malt
1 of marris otter
1 of munich malt

i think its importent to know what each ingredient is bringing and since these are 90% of the grain bill, i want to know what each one tastes like individually.
3 lbs of grain. 2 l batch sparge and hour boil. no hops. it will be drank within a month so no worry about it going off. 2 uk gallons to bottle of each.

im thinking when this is done with ill make up 3 more from one grain type and use three different hops to see what they are bringing.

for the pro's looking at a noob doing this, if this was you 20 years ago:
would anyone like to make a suggestion as to what i should be looking out for? is there something in particular i should try to identify or take note of?

on the marris otter i used iodine for the first time for starch conversion and i noticed the conversion seemed to have completed after ten min.
can anyone point me to something that identifies how long of a boil a particular grain would typically need. i think i wasted 50 min of boil time.

point to note: AROUND 2 to 2.5 gallons lager : 1.016 munich :1.030 1.020 these are very guestimate but i thought interesting to note.

BTW happy 4th to all the yanks. like us irish ya had to bloody some british noses to get some peace and quiet
THE FIRST ROUND IS ON ME :mug:

larger malt - you mean pilsner malt?

fwiw pilsner wort should be boiled for 90 minutes to cook off the DME.

I have heard that maris otter converts quickly. I used it a couple times and decided that it tastes too biscuity for me to use it as a base malt, but your mileage may vary.

I commend you on your scientific spirit. Make sure to let us know what you find.

TimpanogosSlim said:
larger malt - you mean pilsner malt?

fwiw pilsner wort should be boiled for 90 minutes to cook off the DME.

I have heard that maris otter converts quickly. I used it a couple times and decided that it tastes too biscuity for me to use it as a base malt, but your mileage may vary.

I commend you on your scientific spirit. Make sure to let us know what you find.

do you mean DMS?

ya its a pilsner. sorry new termonoligy for me. is getting rid of DMS that important to someone who is very new at this? what effect does the DMS have and remember i have an unrefined pallett.
the 90 min boil. where did you acuire this titbit of info as i would like to be able to refer to it in future. is it in beersmith and that kinda software?

wow it actually recommends a 100 min boil. i didnt expect that. thanks. im actually going to look for the taste in it now. ill do another with a 90 min boil and see if i can taste the difference. i know the longer boil will give me ?more? fermentables
any other advice is greatly apreciated

on the marris otter i used iodine for the first time for starch conversion and i noticed the conversion seemed to have completed after ten min.
can anyone point me to something that identifies how long of a boil a particular grain would typically need. i think i wasted 50 min of boil time.

:mug:

This is actually really common. Most, and I mean that pretty loosely as I don't use every base malt, will convert much quicker than what conventional voodoo wisdom has taught us. It's because most of the books and information is from 30 years ago and has been passed down as word of mouth and taken as law right away.

I can however, vouch for 2 row from Briess, Northwestern, Malteurop, and Marris Otter being in the category of malts that are so consistently produced and being of the highest quality that conversion happens much quicker than what the old superstition tells us. And FWIW, I learned that from a local brewmaster who looked at some of us homebrewers like we were silly when he got asked if he did a conversion test. And that was 15 minutes into mashing a 15bbl batch.

Back