Awesome deal on LME! but a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I found an awesome deal on LME.

http://www.gwkent.com/briess-gold-liquid-malt-extract-33-lb.html

That's 33lbs for $44! about 20-30 bucks cheaper than I've seen it on other sites.

Two questions:

1. I've heard its best to use a pale extract (pilsen or gold light) because those are very neutrally flavored and then get your color and flavor from specialty grains. It says the following in the product description,

"Lovibond 2.0 - 6.0

80% fermentable. Excellent light-colored pure malt extract. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt."

But I don't know if I trust that. What do you think?

2. How do you go about storing excess LME? in the Fridge, Put in bags and freeze, mix a bit of vodka in, or maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DCS18/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 To prevent oxygen from contacting it?

Any ideas or suggestions about either of these would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
sadly you may find you are unable to buy from them

I know their grains you have to buy 40 bags which for them is a pallet

good luck

S_M

but just a side note I bought six bags of their grain in a group and it was very fresh

I haven't put the order in yet b/c of my concerns about the product, but I've got this in my shopping cart and the only stipulation they are stating is, "$50 minimum order." We'll see when I actually go to buy it.

I haven't put the order in yet b/c of my concerns about the product, but I've got this in my shopping cart and the only stipulation they are stating is, "$50 minimum order." We'll see when I actually go to buy it.

good luck I hope that it works out for you that is a great price on the LME and I am sure their product is as good as they state

let us all know how it goes for sure

I do know with the grain it is 40 bags

all the best

S_M

good luck I hope that it works out for you that is a great price on the LME and I am sure their product is as good as they state

let us all know how it goes for sure

I do know with the grain it is 40 bags

all the best

S_M

So you would say this would be a good base malt for all styles so long as I added the right specialty grains?

I get usually buy the Briess Pilsner LME from my LHBS. Costs $60 for 33 lbs. I find it pretty decent. I'll take a look at the shipping costs of this site.

I take no special measures for storage.

When I use it, I place a bowl on a scale and pour from the container into the bowl to the amount I need. I usually brush my finger across the opening to clean the lip before re-capping.

I keep the container in my basement which usually runs between 60 and 70 F. It seems to store for 3 to 6 months like that without any problem.

LME is a thick syrup. It is difficult for anything to grow in it because of the amount of sugar present. It is a little like honey in that respect. However, mold can grow on the surface, so try and practice sanitary measures for working with it.

If you do get any mold on it, don't despair. Just take a sharp knife and cut the container in 2, scoop off the mold (it is only on the surface), and store the rest of the LME in sealed containers in the fridge.

I have a lot of those containers. They make great small fermenters. They hold about 2.7 gallons. If you drill a half inch hole in the cap, you can install a grommet (like the ones in a fermenting bucket) and it will then take an airlock.

Looks like a great deal, Briess is good stuff. This will work for just fine for a lot of styles, but I personally wouldn't brew a super light/crisp beer with it. Before switching to all-grain, my last extract batch was a massive RIS with Briess Gold, and it turned out phenomenal.

If you purchase this, let us know how it goes. I'd be very interested as well.

I get usually buy the Briess Pilsner LME from my LHBS. Costs $60 for 33 lbs. I find it pretty decent. I'll take a look at the shipping costs of this site.

I take no special measures for storage.

When I use it, I place a bowl on a scale and pour from the container into the bowl to the amount I need. I usually brush my finger across the opening to clean the lip before re-capping.

I keep the container in my basement which usually runs between 60 and 70 F. It seems to store for 3 to 6 months like that without any problem.

LME is a thick syrup. It is difficult for anything to grow in it because of the amount of sugar present. It is a little like honey in that respect. However, mold can grow on the surface, so try and practice sanitary measures for working with it.

If you do get any mold on it, don't despair. Just take a sharp knife and cut the container in 2, scoop off the mold (it is only on the surface), and store the rest of the LME in sealed containers in the fridge.

I have a lot of those containers. They make great small fermenters. They hold about 2.7 gallons. If you drill a half inch hole in the cap, you can install a grommet (like the ones in a fermenting bucket) and it will then take an airlock.

Alright you all have convinced me. My only question to this point would be following: With LME I don't think its contamination and or mold that people worry about, but rather the freshness and flavor of older LME. Regardless, I'm still going to get it. If I start to worry, I'll just throw the excess in the freezer.

I hate to be a worrywort but I checked some threads on here and a lot of people seem to be critical of LME. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/dme-vs-lme-169572/ The biggest concern seems to be freshness.

If you get it fresh from them, and you use it within a few months, you have nothing to worry about.

If it comes in the same containers that I get, it will have a date code on the label, in the order of YYMMDD , and a batch letter following that.

Ok I did some math for myself and anyone else who wants to jump on this deal.

52 lbs of DME is $110 + $20 shipping = $2.5/pound

33 lbs of LME is $44 + $16 shipping = $1.81/pound

However when you multiply the cost of LME by 1.2 (because that's how much more of it you need) in actuality it is $2.18/pound

That works out to about $2 difference for a 5 gallon batch. At that point I believe it simply comes down to preference,

DME has no freshness issues, allows for more color control and is easier to measure.

LME comes in a useful container, takes up less room and has no clumping issues.

Yes, DME is better in every aspect IMO. If you find a great deal on DME, post it here too! LME works just fine though.. granted it's fresh, and you add most of it late addition w/o scorching.

Ok I did some math for myself and anyone else who wants to jump on this deal.

52 lbs of DME is $110 + $20 shipping = $2.5/pound

33 lbs of LME is $44 + $16 shipping = $1.81/pound

However when you multiply the cost of LME by 1.2 (because that's how much more of it you need) in actuality it is $2.18/pound

That works out to about $2 difference for a 5 gallon batch. At that point I believe it simply comes down to preference,

DME has no freshness issues, allows for more color control and is easier to measure.

LME comes in a useful container, takes up less room and has no clumping issues.

your numbers do not work

it take a lot more then 33 lbs of LME to equal 50 lbs of DME

it take 62.5 lbs of LME to equal 50 LBS of DME

it is about the same cost a pound, I find DME easier to store

all the best

S_M

The numbers do work, I just calculated in a funny way. A better way to put it would be the following:

From the previous site, including shipping, DME is $2.50/lb, LME is $1.81

If you needed 6 lbs of DME for a 5 gal batch you would need 6 * 1.2 or 7.2 lbs of LME

That works out to $15 of DME or $13.03 of LME

Essentially no difference.

Btw, I bought a 50lb bag of DME from that site and there were no problems.

I'm very curious about how they package the DME. Would you mind shooting a pic or two and describing the bag?

I initially thought this was a good price compared to what my LHBS sells their 3 lb bags for. BUT I went to the LHBS website and found they have the same 50lb bags of Breiss DME for 139.95. When I figure shipping from GWKENT, the LHBS is only 9 bucks more.

I pay $2.92 for a pound of light LME (that is tax included) so I think for me it is about $1.82 in savings per pound or about $36.30+/- overall if I add the cost of LME and shipping together.

So OP, did you order the LME or did you just order DME at some point?

I'm very curious about how they package the DME. Would you mind shooting a pic or two and describing the bag?

I initially thought this was a good price compared to what my LHBS sells their 3 lb bags for. BUT I went to the LHBS website and found they have the same 50lb bags of Breiss DME for 139.95. When I figure shipping from GWKENT, the LHBS is only 9 bucks more.

I bought a 50 pound bag from Farmhouse and it was Breiss

the bag was a double heavy paper with a full plastic lining

I still have some from the first of july that is just like the day it got here

all the best

S_M

amcclai7 said:
I found an awesome deal on LME. http://www.gwkent.com/briess-gold-liquid-malt-extract-33-lb.html That's 33lbs for $44! about 20-30 bucks cheaper than I've seen it on other sites. Two questions: 1. I've heard its best to use a pale extract (pilsen or gold light) because those are very neutrally flavored and then get your color and flavor from specialty grains. It says the following in the product description, "Lovibond 2.0 - 6.0 80% fermentable. Excellent light-colored pure malt extract. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation. Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt." But I don't know if I trust that. What do you think? 2. How do you go about storing excess LME? in the Fridge, Put in bags and freeze, mix a bit of vodka in, or maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/Enthusiast-Private-Preserve-Preservation-Spray/dp/B0000DCS18 To prevent oxygen from contacting it? Any ideas or suggestions about either of these would be great!
I think that's a great deal I've been looking for a deal on LME ! I have a batch brewing I used the same brand , my first batch. It was 12$ for 3.3 lbs . That's a huge savings. It's a pilsner light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go with the DME. As I mentioned in several posts the bulk DME when you consider how little of it, it takes to make a 5 gallon batch is barely more expensive than the LME. Freshness and ease of measurement and increased flavor/color control (it is Golden LME) lead me to choose the DME.

I ordered a 50 lb bag from GWKent on Monday. I will let you know how it is when it gets here and I will try and post a pic.

amcclai7 said:
I decided to go with the DME. As I mentioned in several posts the bulk DME when you consider how little of it, it takes to make a 5 gallon batch is barely more expensive than the LME. Freshness and ease of measurement and increased flavor/color control (it is Golden LME) lead me to choose the DME. I ordered a 50 lb bag from GWKent on Monday. I will let you know how it is when it gets here and I will try and post a pic.
cool let me know , question they sale to the public ? You pay shipping or what? And how much DME DO U USE Compared to LME ?

cool let me know , question they sale to the public ? You pay shipping or what? And how much DME DO U USE Compared to LME ?

Yes they sell to the public. The only stipulation I am aware of is a $50 minumum order.

Shipping is $20 roughly. They are in MI and I am in TN. Perhaps it would be cheaper if you are in the Midwest.

To figure out how much LME to use multiply the amount of DME called for by 1.2

Example: If a recipe calls for 6lbs of DME, 6 x 1.2 = 7.2 lbs of LME.

To figure out how much LME to use multiply the amount of DME called for by 1.2

Example: If a recipe calls for 6lbs of DME, 6 x 1.2 = 7.2 lbs of LME.

You have used the same ratio a couple of times. 1 lb of LME gives about 36 gravity points (when dissolved in 1 gallon it would give a wort of 1.036). 1 lb of DME gives about 45 gravity points. Therefore the ratio is 1.25.

In your example. 6 lbs of DME = 7.5 lbs of LME.

Please report back on your delivery. I'm interested.

Even more reason to get the DME then.

I ordered the 50 lb bag late monday night and it arrived Thursday afternoon via standard shipping. Very impressed!

The bag was packaged inside a cardboard box the bag itself is just thick paper with very little rigidity. It doesn't look like it will be very durable. I will have to lowes and pick up a couple of food grade 5 gallon buckets (about $4 a piece) to store the DME in, but I probably would have done that anyway. As far as the actual quality of the DME goes, idk. Haven't opened it yet but I will soon and will report back about that.

You have used the same ratio a couple of times. 1 lb of LME gives about 36 gravity points (when dissolved in 1 gallon it would give a wort of 1.036). 1 lb of DME gives about 45 gravity points. Therefore the ratio is 1.25.

In your example. 6 lbs of DME = 7.5 lbs of LME.

Please report back on your delivery. I'm interested.

Interesting, I've always read 1.2, never done the math though

This looks like the best price I can get for malt extract in any form. 50 lbs DME = 62.5 lbs LME. Factoring in $20 shipping that's around $2.10/lb LME equivalent.

steveoc said:
This looks like the best price I can get for malt extract in any form. 50 lbs DME = 62.5 lbs LME. Factoring in $20 shipping that's around $2.10/lb LME equivalent.
How much does DME for 50lbs and shipping if you don't mind me asking?

I finally found LME at my local home brew store for 2.59$ a pound , thanks he has light malt extract or Bavarian wheat malt extract. I like the wheat it is finishing out a golden color.

Latest posts

Back