Avocado beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtaran

Reaction score
Hey guys - I am new to brewing and wanted to try something crazy and try to brew an avocado beer. I was wondering if anyone has ever brewed a beer with avocado and how it went for them? I am concerned about whether the oil in the avocado will change the beer during the fermentation process.

Please help!

Thanks!

As avacodo is very fatty adding it to wort would likely kill any head. I wonder what you are hoping to achieve by doing this. Additionally, being low in carbs it isn't very fermentable.

And, welcome to the forum.

th

Before you waste the time, money, and energy making an avocado beer, try soaking an avocado in a blonde ale and drinking it. Take note of how bad it tastes, then confront the reality that putting the avocado in the beer during brewing will probably taste even worse than that.

Hey guys - I am new to brewing and wanted to try something crazy and try to brew an avocado beer. I was wondering if anyone has ever brewed a beer with avocado and how it went for them? I am concerned about whether the oil in the avocado will change the beer during the fermentation process.

Please help!

Thanks!

here is an idea. Throw some jalapenos in the late boil and dry hop with cilantro. You might be onto something.

Just kidding, but for real there are challenges to using avocados. They are high in fat. This will likely kill any head on the beer. This isn't a make or break situation, but it might be for some people.

And as already mentioned you might want to try dunking some avocado in a beer to see how it tastes. The avocado won't be used for fermenting, as it's not got much fermentables (I don't think...) so it might be ok for late boil addition or "dry avocadoing" for flavor. Try it with a few different beer styles. My gut feeling is that it might be better in a darker beer, or maybe a beer with less hops and more malt backbone.

But to be honest, I can't imagine the buttery green flavor of avocado pairing well in a beer. We won't know until someone tries it, though. I bet using hops in beer seemed like a crazy idea to our ancestors.

Are you going for straight avocado or with other flavors? I'd say cube a bunch, freeze it, add half with the yeast pitch, add the other half after primary is done. Post results.

The last step is critical or we will find you.

You could try avocado extract, although that seems to be for cosmetics as much as consumption (not sure if there are two versions of it).

Avocados are as much about texture as taste, I think, so I'm not sure how they'd work in beer. Pumpkin has a similar problem, which is why pumpkin beers tend to be largely about the spice additions.

I can't say I have any experience with avocado in brewing but I recently successfully brewed a peanut butter stout using actual peanuts. I read somewhere that soaking in vodka somehow took the flavor out but didn't tale out the fat. I'm curious after seeing this thread if a similar process could be used to extract the flavor from the avacado without removing too much fat content. And then using this vodka at bottling/kegging. Any thoughts? Still unsure though of what kind of brew could accentuate the flavor of the avacado...

Back