Aviation connectors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a couple of these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=321514587280

Is anybody else using these for elements or even main power? I've seen a few 50 amp version but one description said the current rating was for a time of 1 second. This made me worried that all of thesee type of connectors might not be suitable for our uses.

Ahh Amphenol connectors, the bane of my existence in the Navy and at Nuclear Power plants….. But I was dealing with 100 pin versions.

The one you linked to is rated at 25 amps at 250vac. It should work just fine. These are knock offs and not the real deal Amphenol connectors though, hopefully they are good quality as the Amphenols I would have no issues at all to use in this application. Just don't plug or unplug under any load.

We call them cannon plugs in the Air Force but same thing different manufacturer. I would recommend picking up a tube of food safe lube. When those threads get dry they become a huge pain to work with. In our applications we just put a small dab of grease on them, but I wouldn't be comfortable with regular grease around my brewery. I also second the comment on not connecting/disconnecting under a load.

They are Kinda tough to unscrew.

Ahh Amphenol connectors, the bane of my existence in the Navy and at Nuclear Power plants….. But I was dealing with 100 pin versions.

The one you linked to is rated at 25 amps at 250vac. It should work just fine. These are knock offs and not the real deal Amphenol connectors though, hopefully they are good quality as the Amphenols I would have no issues at all to use in this application. Just don't plug or unplug under any load.

100 pins? that would be hard to keep up with!

I don't think I could ever see a reason why anyone would unplug their element hot?? I've used the Switchcraft plugs for over a year with no problem but remember this debate coming up a few times.

Is the rating just based on the pin size or are there other factors involved?

They are Kinda tough to unscrew.

100 pins? that would be hard to keep up with!

I don't think I could ever see a reason why anyone would unplug their element hot?? I've used the Switchcraft plugs for over a year with no problem but remember this debate coming up a few times.

Is the rating just based on the pin size or are there other factors involved?

You would be surprised how many disconnect under load, and I also mean logic signals too, yes it's only 5v but it will damage the pins.

Factors would include:
Pin size/ material
Spacing between pins
Insulator type

Back