Australian Galaxy - Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atonk

Reaction score
From what I understand, this is supposed to be similar to Citra - anyone used it yet? Just picked some up.

Brew & Grow - Madison, WI

they just get them in, and not many

Atonk said:
From what I understand, this is supposed to be similar to Citra - anyone used it yet? Just picked some up.

I brew a summer ale couple of week ago only with galaxy and it's really nice.
Passion fruit flavor and taste.
Here is my recipe:
MALT:
1.5kg pale malt extract in boil
1.5kg pale malt extract at knockout
250g crystal grain

HOPS:
10g Simcoe 13% at 60 min and 7g Amarillo 9%
20g Galaxy 14% at 15 min
10g Galaxy 14% at 5 min
20g Galaxy at flameout time to chill the wort
YEAST
Wyeast 2565 kolsch strain

Found the hops on craft brewer.com.au

Ferment for 14 days
then dry hop 30g Galaxy 14% for 7 days

Good to hear - I'm brewing with them tonight. Using 2 oz as late hop addition in an APA, and so far smells damn interesting! Might have to go back tomorrow and grab a few more ounces if they're that hard to find.

On a side note, I took the second runnings and made roughly 1/2 gallon with the other new hop they had, UK Brambling Cross. Equally interesting.

Sweet! Let us know how it turns out. I had a pale ale hopped with galaxy at my local brewpub, it was great, a lot of tropical fruit. If they have a bunch i would be interested in buying some from you!

Yep very fruity hop indeed. Awesome in SH session pale ales!
I've also done a black ipa with it and some New Zealand cascade. Which took out a little of the fruity punchiness. Was a Lovely combination. I'm sure regular US cascade will be the same.

I was expecting Citra aroma when I added them, but it's like you say thedingo - a little more "punchiness" to it.

Sweet! Let us know how it turns out. I had a pale ale hopped with galaxy at my local brewpub, it was great, a lot of tropical fruit. If they have a bunch i would be interested in buying some from you!

I'll see what they have left next time I'm in (which will be Tuesday at the latest, hopefully today). It was a small bag, but if they've still got them I'll grab them and pm you.

Back